What is the Velocity and Speed of a Moving Particle on a Hyperbola?

In summary, the conversation discusses a particle moving along a hyperbola with a given position vector. The velocity and speed of the particle are calculated and the concept of velocity and speed are clarified. The equation of the hyperbola is also found and the path of the particle is sketched. The use of the Pythagorean theorem for finding speed is suggested.
RESmonkey

Homework Statement

A particle moves down with position vector <sec(Pi*t), tan(Pi*t)> for
0 =< t < 1/2.

(a). Find the velocity and speed of the particle at t = 1/4.
(b). The particle movies along a hyperbola. Elminate the parameter to find an equation of the hyperbola in terms of x and y.
(c). Sketch the path of the particle over the time interval
0 =< t < 1/2.

Homework Equations

? none?

The Attempt at a Solution

velocity vector = < Pi*sec(Pi*t)tan(Pi*t), Pi*sec^2(Pi*t)>
Plug in 1/4 into velocity vector:
<.04307, Pi>

Question is (part a), it's asking for velocity. I'm thinking writting velocity vector isn't the same thing; should I do a pythagorean theorem on the two components of my velocity vector to get a single value for velocity?

Help appreciated :P

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're confusing speed and velocity. Velocity is a vector, speed is not. So, the form you currently have the velocity in is sufficient. If you find the magnitude (i.e. what you call "doing a pythagorean theorem"), you'll have to also specify a direction, which is much more work than you need.

Phew...so I just pull pythagorean for speed?

yup.

Sweet! Thanks :)

1. What is the definition of velocity?

Velocity is a measure of the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In simpler terms, velocity is the speed of an object in a specific direction.

2. How is velocity different from speed?

While velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, they have different meanings in physics. Speed is the rate of change of distance with respect to time, while velocity also takes into account the direction of the object's motion. This means that two objects can have the same speed but different velocities if they are moving in different directions.

3. How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in position by the change in time. It can be represented by the equation v = ∆x/∆t, where v is velocity, ∆x is change in position, and ∆t is change in time. The resulting unit for velocity is meters per second (m/s) in the SI system.

4. Can velocity be negative?

Yes, velocity can be negative. A negative velocity indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen reference frame. For example, if a car is moving west and its velocity is -20 m/s, this means that it is moving 20 m/s to the east.

5. How does acceleration affect velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity with respect to time. If an object is accelerating, its velocity is changing over time. This can mean that the object is either speeding up, slowing down, or changing direction. For example, if a car is accelerating from 0 m/s to 20 m/s in 5 seconds, its velocity is changing by 4 m/s each second.