1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity of a Pendulum

1. Jun 13, 2009 #1
    Okay, so I am a student in my first year of physics and I'm doing an EEI on collision; however I am stuck up to a part where I need to figure out the velocity of my pendulum without doing the experiments again (Long story). At the moment, the length of the chain/string is 55cm and the angle is at 90 degrees.

I have also done some googling, and some have ended leading me to here. Is this formula suitable to find the velocity?

v = √{2gL[1-cos(a)]}

I applied my known data into the equation which ended up giving me an answer of about 3.8m/s. I personally suspect that it is incorrect, so I need some experts to help me. (Sorry if i sound like a dag lol.)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Dazz4C! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Is your pendulum a string with a point mass on the end, or does it have a large mass and/or something heavy instead of a string?

Your equation (with a being the angle from the vertical) comes from conservation of energy: KE + PE = constant.

For a point mass, KE/m = 1/2 v2, and PE/m = gL(1 - cosa), and your equation is correct.

But for a large mass, or for a bar instead of a string, KE/m and PE/m will be different. :smile:

4. Jun 13, 2009 #3
    Re: Welcome to PF!

It has a rectangular piece of wood (10cm x 4cm) @ 70g with a cushion, that weighs anywhere from 2g-10g. (It's simulating the crumple zone :P)

*EDIT: Sorry, so which formula would I use?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  5. Jun 13, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

is the wood instead of a string (and if so, where is the pivot?), or is it on the end of a string?

in any case, you'll need to use the moment of inertia of a rectangle.

Before I go any further, do you know what moment of inertia is, and how to use it to calculate energy? :smile:

6. Jun 13, 2009 #5
    No idea :(

I don't really understand what you mean by where is the wood.

So here an illustration.
    vzvd3t.jpg

7. Jun 13, 2009 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

oh i see …

ok, if that long straight line is string, then your original equation should work,

with L being the length of the string plus half the height of the block.

(you originally mentioned a chain)

8. Jun 13, 2009 #7
    Ah, yes thankyou. When I meant chain; I kinda meant the weightless support for the bob. Didn't know how to express it.

Thankyou again

9. Jun 13, 2009 #8
    There is also another way of doing it.

Since

[tex]
    T=2 \pi \sqrt{\frac{l}{g}}
    [/tex]

where, T-the period, l-length of the string, we can write a displacement equation (I'm not sure that's the correct term in English, but I hope you'll understand what I mean from the math).

[tex]
    x=A \cos ( \omega t) (1)
    [/tex]

where

[tex]\omega = \frac{2\pi}{T}[/tex]

and A - amplitude. Now differentiate (1) and you'll have a velocity equation.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  10. Jun 13, 2009 #9
    I'll stick to the original equation; it's probably a bit easier to understand. But thankyou for helping aswell.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook