Velocity of a Proton in a Capacitor

In summary, the problem involves a proton being fired from the negative plate of a capacitor charged to 1000V. The relevant equation is 1/2mv2 = (KeQq)/r, but the distance between the plates and the charge on the capacitor are not given. Other equations attempted include V = U/Q and U = (KQq)/r, but these only apply to point charges and not a point charge and a capacitor. The conservation of energy can be applied to find the velocity of the proton.
joshszman09
(1). Homework Statement

Suppose a proton is fired from the negative plate of a capacitor charged up to 1000 Volts. How fast must it be traveling to reach the other side?(2) Relevant equations

Okay, so I figured that this would be a conservation of energy problem and used: 1/2mv2 = (KeQq)/r
I think this would work, but it requires that you know both the charge on the capacitor and the distance between the plates which is not given. I am really stuck and could use some help. I just need to be pushed in the right direction and hinted towards what to do. I have literally tried everything I know about voltage and capacitors and just can't get it. If you need and more info/have questions just let me know. Thanks in advance!

3. Attempt at Solution

There isn't much to put here except a few of the equations I tried using.

I know that V = U/Q and that U= (KQq)/r and so I came up with V = (Kq)/r and tried solving for r(distance between the plates), but I got a really small number, r = 1.44E^-12. Even if that is right, I still can't think of a way to solve for the charge, Q, on the capacitor and plug the numbers into the equation I wrote in (2)

Physics news on Phys.org
joshszman09 said:
I know that V = U/Q

This is true for a point charge Q in an external electrostatic potential V (like a proton in a capacitor) :wink: ). If the caacitor is charged to 1000V, doesn't that mean the potential between the plates is 1000V?:wink:...What does that make U? What do you get when you apply conservation of energy to that?

and that U= (KQq)/r

This is only true for a point charge Q subject to the potential of another point charge q a distance r away. You have a point charge and a capacitor in this problem, not two point charges.

1. What is the velocity of a proton in a capacitor?

The velocity of a proton in a capacitor depends on several factors such as the strength of the electric field, the distance between the capacitor plates, and the mass of the proton. It can be calculated using the equation v = E*d/m, where v is the velocity, E is the electric field strength, d is the distance between the plates, and m is the mass of the proton.

2. How does the velocity of a proton affect the performance of a capacitor?

The velocity of a proton does not directly affect the performance of a capacitor. However, it is important to consider the velocity of charged particles in a capacitor when designing and using it, as it can impact the flow of current and the overall functionality of the capacitor.

3. Can the velocity of a proton in a capacitor be controlled?

Yes, the velocity of a proton in a capacitor can be controlled by adjusting the electric field strength and the distance between the capacitor plates. By changing these factors, the speed and direction of the proton can be manipulated.

4. Is the velocity of a proton in a capacitor constant?

No, the velocity of a proton in a capacitor is not constant. It can vary depending on the strength of the electric field, the distance between the plates, and the mass of the proton. Additionally, other external factors such as temperature and humidity can also affect the velocity of the proton.

5. How does the velocity of a proton in a capacitor differ from the velocity of an electron?

The velocity of a proton in a capacitor is typically lower than the velocity of an electron. This is because protons have a larger mass compared to electrons, and therefore require more energy to reach the same velocity. Additionally, the direction of the proton's velocity is opposite to that of an electron in a capacitor, as protons are positively charged while electrons are negatively charged.