Rocket Velocity: γ = 4, v = √15/4c

Just to clarify, the rocket would have to be traveling at a speed of approximately 0.968c to achieve this value of gamma. This may seem unrealistic, but in theories of special relativity, it is possible for objects to travel at speeds close to or even exceeding the speed of light. So while it may seem improbable, it is still a valid solution to the problem.
billy92
If a rocket is traveling past the Earth at speed v, and the time interval measured by the astronaut is four times smaller than the time interval measured by an observer on the Earth. What is the value of v

I have attempted the solution and got:

Δt=γΔt'

Where i believe that gamma will be 4.

From this i used:

γ=[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}}}}[/itex]

From this i managed to calculate v=[itex]\frac{\sqrt{15}}{4}[/itex]c

However i am slightly concerned about how large this value is for a rocket but cannot seem to see any other solution to this problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are right, it takes very large values of velocity to get appreciably large values of gamma. You got the right answer.

ghwellsjr said:
Yes, you are right, it takes very large values of velocity to get appreciably large values of gamma. You got the right answer.

Thanks for the quick reply.

1. What is the significance of the "γ" value in the equation for rocket velocity?

The "γ" value in the equation represents the Lorentz factor, which is used in special relativity to account for the effects of time dilation and length contraction at high velocities. In this case, a γ value of 4 indicates that the rocket is moving at a significant fraction of the speed of light.

2. How is the rocket velocity calculated using the given values?

The rocket velocity can be calculated using the formula v = √(1-1/γ^2) * c, where c is the speed of light. In this case, with a γ value of 4, the rocket velocity would be (√15/4 * c) or approximately 0.968 c.

3. What is the maximum possible velocity for a rocket using this equation?

As the Lorentz factor approaches infinity, the rocket velocity approaches the speed of light. Therefore, the maximum possible velocity for a rocket using this equation would be c (the speed of light).

4. How does this equation relate to Einstein's theory of special relativity?

This equation is derived from the equations of special relativity, specifically the Lorentz transformation equations. It is used to calculate the velocity of an object in reference to an observer when accounting for the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

5. Can this equation be used for all types of rockets or just ones that travel at high velocities?

This equation is specifically used for objects traveling at high velocities, particularly near the speed of light. For slower velocities, the equation simplifies to the classical Newtonian equation for velocity, v = d/t.