Velocity of a rolling body down an inclined plane

In summary, the conversation is discussing the formula for calculating the velocity of a rolling body down an inclined plane. The conversation also addresses the factors that need to be taken into account, such as friction and air resistance, as well as the need for further information. There is also a suggestion to figure out the formula from basic principles rather than just searching for it. The conversation also mentions the acceleration of a rolling body on an inclined plane and the desire to know the formula for when the body reaches the end of the plane.
roshan2004
Can anyone tell me the formula of calculating the velocity of a rolling body down an inclined plane?Please state the quantities as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there friction? Do we take into account air resistance? We need more information.

No there is no friction and air resistance.It's chapter is rotational motion.

If there is no friction then the body will not roll down the incline, it will slide.

I think we have to consider friction and the radius of gyartion is involved there.

Further information is still required. Please state the full question with all known information.

roshan2004 said:
No there is no friction and air resistance.It's chapter is rotational motion.
I suspect you mean that there's no energy dissipated due to friction, not that there's no friction. (No slipping.)

In any case, don't just go hunting for a formula; figure it out from basic principles. What forces act on the body? What's the rotational inertia?

I have been given the information about the acceleration of a rolling body down an inclined plane as
a=gsintheta/1+k^2/R^2
But I really want to know the formula of that body when it actually reaches down the inclined plane.

roshan2004 said:
I have been given the information about the acceleration of a rolling body down an inclined plane as
a=gsintheta/1+k^2/R^2
But I really want to know the formula of that body when it actually reaches down the inclined plane.
I'm not quite sure I understand, you want an equation of motion for when the body has left the inclined plane and is now rolling along a horizontal surface?

1. What is the formula for calculating the velocity of a rolling body down an inclined plane?

The formula for calculating the velocity of a rolling body down an inclined plane is v = √(2gh), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the inclined plane.

2. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the velocity of a rolling body?

The angle of the inclined plane affects the velocity of a rolling body by changing the acceleration due to gravity. The steeper the angle, the faster the body will accelerate and the higher the final velocity will be.

3. What is the difference between the velocity of a rolling body and a sliding body down an inclined plane?

The main difference between the velocity of a rolling body and a sliding body down an inclined plane is that the velocity of a rolling body takes into account the rotational motion of the object, while the velocity of a sliding body only considers its linear motion.

4. How does the mass of the rolling body affect its velocity down an inclined plane?

The mass of the rolling body does not affect its velocity down an inclined plane. This is because the formula for calculating velocity (v = √(2gh)) does not include mass as a variable.

5. Can the velocity of a rolling body ever be greater than the velocity of a free-falling body?

No, the velocity of a rolling body can never be greater than the velocity of a free-falling body. This is because the acceleration due to gravity is the same for both objects and the velocity of a free-falling body will always be greater due to the absence of friction on an inclined plane.