What is the velocity of a point inside an infinite rotating rod?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the velocity of an infinite rod rotating with frequency ω about the z-axis, in the anti-clockwise direction when viewed from above. The task is to find the velocity of a charge at a point r = (x, y, z) inside the rod, using vector notation. The solution involves using cross product manipulation and understanding the relation between angular velocity and translational velocity. Drawing a diagram can also help in visualizing the problem and finding the velocity as a vector.
TheFlatlander
Hi guys, I'm new here so thanks for any guidance...
Using vector notation, I need to find the velocity of an infinite rod, rotating with frequency, ω, centred on the z axis. (rotating about z-axis in the anti-clockwise direction when viewed from above).

I need to give the velocity in terms of a charge the point r = (x, y, z) which is inside the rod
(eg r┴ = (√x²+y²) < radius of the rod, a )
The charge itself is not important, I simply need to find the velocity V of it.

I have a vague idea as to how to do this:
I know that the velocity is perpendicular to both r and the z-axis, so it probably involves some sort of cross product?
Using the unit vector k multiplied by r/|r| ?

I am pretty clueless with this one guys, despite it only being simple vector manipulation... Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got it right, its cross product manipulation. Do you know of any relation between angular velocity and translational velocity?

Draw a diagram!

Hi TheFlatlander! Welcome to PF! :smile:

It often helps to draw a diagram (a rough one).

Draw a diagram with the x and y axes, and a typical point r.

Now draw in where r goes during the rotation (I don't mean instantaneously, I mean for the next hour or so).

You know the frequency (w). Does that tell you how far it goes in any particular time? :smile:

If so, you have the speed (not the velocity, of course). So what is the velocity? Draw it on the diagram, then write it as a vector.

Thanks for the tips guys. I got there in the end. :approve:

1. What is the formula for calculating the velocity of a rotating rod?

The formula for calculating the velocity of a rotating rod is v = ωr, where v is the linear velocity, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the rod.

2. How is angular velocity defined?

Angular velocity is defined as the rate at which an object rotates around an axis, measured in radians per second (rad/s). It can also be calculated by dividing the angular displacement by the time taken to make that displacement.

3. What is the relationship between linear and angular velocity?

The relationship between linear and angular velocity is v = ωr, where v is the linear velocity, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the rotating object. This means that the linear velocity of a point on the object is directly proportional to its distance from the axis of rotation.

4. How does the mass of the rod affect its velocity?

The mass of the rod does not directly affect its velocity. However, it can affect the moment of inertia, which is a factor in the equation for angular velocity. A larger mass can result in a larger moment of inertia, which can in turn affect the angular velocity of the rod.

5. Can the velocity of a rotating rod change?

Yes, the velocity of a rotating rod can change. This can happen if there is an external force acting on the rod, causing it to speed up or slow down. Changes in the moment of inertia can also affect the velocity of the rod. Additionally, if the axis of rotation is moved, the velocity of the rod will also change.