Speed of Tsunamis: 650 km in 4.9 hrs = m/s

In summary, a tsunami is a fast-moving wave generated by underwater earthquakes, with a barely noticeable amplitude in the deep ocean but able to reach astonishing heights upon reaching shore. The speed of a tsunami can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took, and it is not a harmonic wave so the formula velocity = wavelength*frequency cannot be used.
sheri1987

Homework Statement

Tsunamis are fast-moving waves generated by underwater earthquakes. In the deep ocean their amplitude is barely noticeable, but upon reaching shore, they can rise up to the astonishing height of a six-story building. One tsunami, generated off the Aleutian islands in Alaska, had a wavelengthh of 650 km and traveled a distance of 3700 km in 4.9 h.
(a) What was the speed (in m/s) of the wave? For reference, the speed of a 747 jetliner is about 250 m/s.

Homework Equations

velocity = wavelength*frequency

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to convert the wavelength to meters so I did that and got 650000m and 4.9 hours equals 17640 seconds, i figured that was the period or T. So then I took 1/T to get the frequency which is 1/17640 and got 5.67E-5...do I need to multiply this with the 650000m to get the velocity? It doesn't seem to make sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me that if it travels a distance of 3700 km in 4.9 hours, its speed is 3700/4.9 km/hr. You can convert that to meters per second if you wish. Besides, a tsunami is hardly a harmonic wave so you cannot use the relation v = λf.

Likes Astronuc and PeroK

1. How is the speed of a tsunami measured?

The speed of a tsunami is measured in kilometers per hour (km/hr) or meters per second (m/s).

2. What is the average speed of a tsunami?

The average speed of a tsunami is around 650 kilometers per hour (km/hr) or 4.9 meters per second (m/s).

3. How does the speed of a tsunami compare to other natural disasters?

The speed of a tsunami is much faster than other natural disasters such as hurricanes or tornadoes, which typically have speeds of 100-200 km/hr. However, it is slower than the speed of earthquakes, which can reach several thousand kilometers per hour.

4. Can the speed of a tsunami vary?

Yes, the speed of a tsunami can vary depending on the depth and shape of the ocean floor, as well as the strength and location of the earthquake that caused it.

5. How does the speed of a tsunami affect its destructive power?

A faster speed of a tsunami means it has more energy and can cover a greater distance in a shorter amount of time, making it potentially more destructive. However, other factors such as the size and height of the waves also play a significant role in the destructive power of a tsunami.