1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity of a wave

1. Jan 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Tsunamis are fast-moving waves generated by underwater earthquakes. In the deep ocean their amplitude is barely noticeable, but upon reaching shore, they can rise up to the astonishing height of a six-story building. One tsunami, generated off the Aleutian islands in Alaska, had a wavelengthh of 650 km and traveled a distance of 3700 km in 4.9 h.
    (a) What was the speed (in m/s) of the wave? For reference, the speed of a 747 jetliner is about 250 m/s.

2. Relevant equations

velocity = wavelength*frequency

3. The attempt at a solution

I know I need to convert the wavelength to meters so I did that and got 650000m and 4.9 hours equals 17640 seconds, i figured that was the period or T. So then I took 1/T to get the frequency which is 1/17640 and got 5.67E-5...do I need to multiply this with the 650000m to get the velocity? It doesn't seem to make sense?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted