1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity of a wrecking ball

1. Nov 1, 2006 #1
    A wrecking ball suspended from a 12.0m cable is accelerated up to 5.00m/s at it's lowest point. After that point the ball has negative aceleration as it gains elevation. What is the ball's velocity when the cable makes a 20.0 degree angle with the verticle?

Is this just a matter of finding the height of the ball at that point and calculating the velocity at that height? I guess I could use the potential energy formula (U=mgh) some how. I'm just not sure on this one.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2006 #2
    I like the U=mgh idea; you know what the energy of the system is because your given the speed (therefore the kinetic energy) at the lowest point.
  4. Nov 1, 2006 #3

i dont understand are you saying that its velocity at the lowest point is 5.00m/s ? If so try using conservation of energy.
  5. Nov 1, 2006 #4
    Oops, in my initial post, I meant to say that the ball was accelerated to 5.00m/s, so yes, the velocity at the lowest point is 5.00m/s.
  6. Nov 1, 2006 #5
    OKay, then your on the right track. Use conservation of energy. Set up the equation like this:
    KE=KE+mgh so...
    1/2mVi^2=1/2mVf^2+mgh, where Vi=initial velocity=5m/s, and Vf=unknown
    The mass cancels out, your left with:
    use trig to find h at 20degrees, then plug in your values to find final velocity.
  7. Nov 1, 2006 #6
    Thanks, got it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?