Velocity of Accelerated Observer in SR: Understanding the Paradox

In summary, the formula for the velocity of an object in special relativity is given by ##v=c\tanh(\alpha \tau/c)##, where ##\alpha \tau/c## is the rapidity. The origin of this radial velocity is the event that the object is at on its lightcone. If you set your clock to read ##\tau=0##, when you are at rest in that frame, after a time ##\tau## on your clock, your velocity will be ##v=c\tanh(\alpha \tau/c)##.
JD96
Hey,

I have a question regarding accelerated motion in special relativity. Suppose an observer has a constant proper acceleration α, his velocity in an inertial frame of a distant observer will then be given [itex]v = c tanh(ατ/c)[/itex], where τ is the proper time of the accelerated observer. Since every quantity in the argument of the function is lorentzinvariant, v also should be an invariant quantity. But that would imply, that every observer agrees on the velocity of the accelerated observer at a given moment, which doesn't fit in my knowledge of special relativity so far... is there a fault in my reasoning or am I missing something else?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
JD96 said:
Since every quantity in the argument of the function is lorentzinvariant, v also should be an invariant quantity.

Recall that in order to derive ##v = \tanh(\alpha \tau)## one must explicitly use the fact that the worldline of the observer relative to a fixed inertial frame is ##t(\tau) = \sinh \alpha\tau## and ##x(\tau) = \cosh \alpha \tau##. Clearly under a boost to another inertial frame or any arbitrary coordinate transformation the worldline of the observer will not preserve this exact form because ##t,x## change under the transformation e.g. if I boost then ##t\rightarrow \gamma(t - vx), x\rightarrow \gamma(x - vt)## while the ##\sinh \alpha\tau,\cosh \alpha\tau## remain the same so if I express everything explicitly in terms of the new ##t,x## in this boosted frame then I won't have the same simple form as before for the coordinates of the accelerated observer.

In other words the equality ##v = \tanh \alpha \tau## is not a Lorentz invariant equality because it is only valid in a specific background Lorentz frame.

Last edited:
Likes JD96
Hmm...
In ##v=c\tanh(\alpha \tau/c)##, the quantity ##\alpha \tau/c## is like
an angle between spacelike radial directions (analogous to the rapidity as the angle between timelike-worldlines from an event).
The origin of these radial directions is the event whose lightcone forms the apparent horizon for the family of concentric accelerating observers.

A boost will essentially add a constant to this angle, which alters your velocity in that boosted frame.

Maybe the best way to think about what is going on is that
if you set your clock to read ##\tau=0##, when you are at rest in that frame,
after a time ##\tau## on your clock, your velocity will be ##v=c\tanh(\alpha \tau/c)## in that frame.

Likes JD96
JD96 said:
Since every quantity in the argument of the function is lorentzinvariant
The assumptions behind the formula itself are not lorentz invariant - it assumes the spaceship starts with a velocity of zero at time τ=0.

Every observer will agree that your distant observer will observe the velocity of v for the spaceship.

Likes JD96
Thanks for all your answers, I got it now :)

Q1: What is the "velocity of an accelerated observer" in special relativity (SR)?

The velocity of an accelerated observer in SR refers to the speed of an observer who is undergoing constant acceleration. This is in contrast to the velocity of a non-accelerated observer, which remains constant in SR.

Q2: Why is the concept of "velocity of an accelerated observer" important in understanding the paradox in SR?

The paradox in SR arises when comparing the observations of an accelerated observer to those of a non-accelerated observer. The concept of velocity of an accelerated observer helps to explain the discrepancies between their observations and resolve the paradox.

Q3: How does the velocity of an accelerated observer differ from the velocity of a non-accelerated observer in SR?

In SR, the velocity of a non-accelerated observer remains constant, whereas the velocity of an accelerated observer changes over time due to their acceleration. This difference in velocity leads to differences in their observations and contributes to the paradox in SR.

Q4: Can the velocity of an accelerated observer ever exceed the speed of light?

No, according to the principles of SR, the speed of light is the maximum possible velocity in the universe. Therefore, the velocity of an accelerated observer can never exceed the speed of light, no matter how high their acceleration.

Q5: How does understanding the velocity of an accelerated observer help us understand the concept of time dilation in SR?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in SR where time appears to pass at different rates for observers in different frames of reference. By understanding the velocity of an accelerated observer, we can better understand how their changing velocity affects their perception of time and contributes to time dilation in SR.