1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity of an electron.

1. Feb 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An electron with velocity v = 2.4 × 10^6 m/s i encounters an electric field E = 1250 N/C i. How long will it take for the speed to be one fourth its original value?

2. Relevant equations

Not sure

Maybe E = kQ/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know where to begin. Looking at it makes me think it won't slow down because both are pointing in the positive i direction. Also, does an electron have a charge of -1.602 X 10 ^-19 C?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2013 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

The electron will slow down. Given some electric field and a charge, what is the force that will be experienced by the electron? Knowing this, how can you calculate the acceleration using Newton's 2nd Law? This should give you a good start. Your equation for an electric field is not needed since you are told what the (constant) electric field is for this problem.

4. Feb 12, 2013 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Right. And as it has a negative charge, it will slow down when it moves in the direction of the field lines.
    Can you relate the electric field to a force on the electron?

This does not help.

5. Feb 12, 2013 #4
    So what I did was multiply E and the charge of an electron to find the force between them.
    F= -2.0025 X 10^-16 N
    Then using F=ma
    when m = 9.109 X 10^-31 kg
    I got a = -2.2 X 10^14 m/s^2

First, is this the direction I need to be going in or am I doing it wrong?
    Second, if this is right, how can I use the a to find the velocity and time it takes?

Can I do the differential equation
    dv/dt=a?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  6. Feb 12, 2013 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That is a good approach.
    You can use this to find the velocity as function of time, right. As the acceleration is constant, this is easy to solve.

7. Feb 12, 2013 #6
    I got the time for it to get to a fourth of the velocity to be 3 X 10^-9 s

That sound right? Is there a constant from the integration or will it be zero?

I also think it might be 8 X 10^-9 s by doing
    v(0)=a(0)+c
    v(0)= initial velocity
    So c= the initial velocity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook