1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity of ball problem

1. Feb 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ball is thrown upward from the ground with an initial speed of 25m/s; at the same instant a ball is dropped from rest from a building 15m high. After how long will the balls be at the same height?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    well the first ball has initial(vi) of 25m/s and if its thrown that at its peak it wud be 0m/s and the acceleration is -9.81 and i used vf=vi+at which will give me 2.55
    and for the second ball the initial velocity is 0 so i used x=1/2a(t)^2 and i got 1.75

i have no clue like what to do after you get both the times like how do u find where they would meet up??

thx for hte help

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So you have two [kinematic] equations with two unknowns, how would you normally solve a system of simultaneous equations?

4. Feb 13, 2008 #3
    give an expression for the heigth of the ball as a function of time and then set them equal, and then solve for t.

in general you have y(t) = y(0) + v(0)t - 1/2gt^2 for an object released at time t=0 at height y(0) with initial speed v(0). you know y(0) and b(0) for both balls.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?