1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity of bicycle pedals

1. Feb 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A bicyclist travels in a light head wind on a level, horizontal road. The bicyclist keeps a constant speed of v = 20 km per hour. He pedals evenly. The back wheel has a radius of r = 0.33 m. The back cog wheel has a radius of r = 0.035 m. The front cog wheel has a radius of r[f] = 0.085 m. Each pedal arm has the length L = 0.16 m, measured from the center of the front cog wheel.

Find an expression for the maximum and minimum value of the pedal velocity based on the given radii, L and the velocity v.

2. Relevant equations
    v=r*omega

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have assumed that the angular velocity of the front and back wheel must be the same.
    I have assumed that the angular velocity of the pedals must be the same as the front cog wheel.

Hence:
    omega[front cog wheel & pedals] = v/radius of wheel * radius of rear cog wheel/radius of front cog wheel
    omega[front cog wheel & pedals] = ((20 km/hr) / (0.33 m)) * ((0.035 m) / (0.0085 m)) = app. 24.96 km/hr*m

v[pedal] = (0.16 m) * (24.96 km/hr*m) = app. 3.99 km/h

Does anyone have an explanation for why the pedal velocity should have a maximum and minimum value and not just be constant?

Any help is much appreciated.

Sincerely,
    tsrgb
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2010 #2
    You wrote,

Does anyone have an explanation for why the pedal velocity should have a maximum and minimum value and not just be constant?

I think they want the velocity of the pedal with respect to the ground. When the pedal is at the top it moves forward with greatest velocity, a sum of two motions.

4. Feb 16, 2010 #3
    Thank you.
    I'll try that.

Sincerely,
    tsrgb

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook