Velocity of boat after two people have jumped off

In summary, when two people of mass m stand on the stern of a boat of mass M and jump out with a horizontal velocity u relative to the boat's initial velocity, the boat's final velocity v will be higher if they jump together compared to if they jump one after another. This is because in the first case, both people contribute to the boat's momentum while in the second case, only one person does. The final velocity is calculated by using the equation (M+2m)vi = 2m(vi - u) + M(vf), where vi is the initial velocity of the boat and vf is the final velocity.
QuanH
Original question: Two people (each of mass m) are standing on the stern of a boat of mass M. Ignoring friction, find the boat’s velocity v after they jump out with a horizontal velocity u relative to the boat’s initial velocity
(a) if they jump together
(b) if they jump one after another
(c) which velocity is greater?

I followed the path of using equal total momentum before and after to solve the problem, and I just but for some reason, my (a) velocity expression is greater than my (b) velocity expression. Is this supposed to happen? I assumed this is like a multi-stage system, where final velocity should be higher if there are more stages.

My set up is (M+2m)vi = 2m(vi - u) + M(vf) where vi is initial velocity of boat and vf is final (what I am looking for)
(vi - u) would be velocity of the two people relative to water.. right?

Physics news on Phys.org
QuanH said:
Original question: Two people (each of mass m) are standing on the stern of a boat of mass M. Ignoring friction, find the boat’s velocity v after they jump out with a horizontal velocity u relative to the boat’s initial velocity
(a) if they jump together
(b) if they jump one after another
(c) which velocity is greater?

My set up is (M+2m)vi = 2m(vi - u) + M(vf) where vi is initial velocity of boat and vf is final (what I am looking for)
(vi - u) would be velocity of the two people relative to water.. right?
It is true when the two people jump together. But in case b, the second man jumps with relative velocity u with respect to the new velocity of the boat.

ehild

yes i took that into account too. i divided (b) into two parts, 1st jump and 2nd jump, where the 2nd jump's initial velocity is the final velocity of the 1st jump

QuanH said:
yes i took that into account too. i divided (b) into two parts, 1st jump and 2nd jump, where the 2nd jump's initial velocity is the final velocity of the 1st jump

Show your work, please. The final speed must be higher in case b.

ehild

ehild said:
Show your work, please. The final speed must be higher in case b.

ehild

This looks counter intuitive to me. If they jump together, they will both carry away momentum -mu in the initial boat rest frame. In case b only the first will while the second carries momentum m(v1-u) where v1 is the velocity of the boat after the first guy jumps. This is of course assuming that they still jump with the same velocity relative to the initial boat velocity before their jump which may not be physically reasonable.

Your answer sounds right. When the first person jumps, he is adding velocity to both the boat and the second person.

(Editing doesn't seem to be working yet.)

This is different than a two stage rocket problem because when people jump off they impart energy to the boat after they remove their weight from it.

ahh that makes sense now. thank you all.

this is my work if any is still interested to see
a.jpg
b.jpg

Orodruin said:
This looks counter intuitive to me. If they jump together, they will both carry away momentum -mu in the initial boat rest frame. In case b only the first will while the second carries momentum m(v1-u) where v1 is the velocity of the boat after the first guy jumps. This is of course assuming that they still jump with the same velocity relative to the initial boat velocity before their jump which may not be physically reasonable.

It is right, I made some silly mistake, thespeed is bigger in case a).

ehild

1. What is the impact of two people jumping off a boat on its velocity?

The velocity of a boat will decrease after two people jump off due to the decrease in mass and the conservation of momentum. This means that the boat will slow down as the two people transfer their momentum to the water.

2. Is the velocity affected by the weight of the people jumping off?

Yes, the weight of the people jumping off will impact the velocity of the boat. The heavier the people, the greater the decrease in velocity will be.

3. How does the velocity change when one person jumps off compared to two people?

The velocity will decrease more when two people jump off compared to one person. This is because there is a greater transfer of momentum when two people jump off, as opposed to just one person.

4. Can the velocity increase if the people jumping off are pushing the boat forward?

No, the velocity of the boat will still decrease even if the people are pushing the boat forward. This is because the decrease in momentum from the people jumping off will outweigh the increase in momentum from pushing the boat forward.

5. What other factors can affect the velocity of the boat after people jump off?

Aside from the weight of the people jumping off, other factors that can affect the velocity of the boat include the initial velocity of the boat, the mass of the boat, and any external forces acting on the boat such as wind or currents.