What is the Velocity of the Capacitor Plates in an RC Circuit?

In summary: This is the equation for the current through the capacitor. Yes! This is the equation for the current through the capacitor.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

In the following RC circuit, the capacitor is in the steady state. The initial separation of the capacitor plates is x0. If at t = 0, the separation between the plates starts changing so that a constant current flows through R. Find the velocity of the moving plates as a function of time. The plate area is A.

The Attempt at a Solution

Applying Kirchoff's Law

[itex]E=\dfrac{qvt}{\epsilon_0 A} + \dfrac{R dq}{dt} [/itex]

But how do I solve this differential equation?

Attachments

• image050.gif
    image050.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 436
Physics news on Phys.org
The differential equation you derived isn't quite correct because the plate separation is initially ##x_0##, which doesn't appear anywhere in your equation.

After you fix that, the quantities that potentially vary with time are q, v, and dq/dt, which makes the equation hard to solve. You want to eliminate q and dq/dt and get an equation that only depends on v and t. Use the information that the current through the resistor is constant.

vela said:
The differential equation you derived isn't quite correct because the plate separation is initially ##x_0##, which doesn't appear anywhere in your equation.

After you fix that, the quantities that potentially vary with time are q, v, and dq/dt, which makes the equation hard to solve. You want to eliminate q and dq/dt and get an equation that only depends on v and t. Use the information that the current through the resistor is constant.

The correct equation should be

[itex]E=\dfrac{q(x_0-\int vdt )}{\epsilon_0 A} + \dfrac{R dq}{dt} [/itex]

Here I've assumed that the separation is decreasing.

Last edited:
utkarshakash said:
The correct equation should be

[itex]E=\dfrac{q(x_0-\int vdt )}{\epsilon_0 A} + \dfrac{R dq}{dt} [/itex]

Here I've assumed that the separation is decreasing.

??
That equation is dimensionally inconsistent in the 1st term on the right.

Hint: what is the current thru the capacitor in terms of capacitance and capacitor voltage?
Combine that with vela's hint, i.e. E = V_C + V_R. You wind up with a simple ODE in C(t), without either V or q.

rude man said:
??
That equation is dimensionally inconsistent in the 1st term on the right.

Hint: what is the current thru the capacitor in terms of capacitance and capacitor voltage?
Combine that with vela's hint, i.e. E = V_C + V_R. You wind up with a simple ODE in C(t), without either V or q.

[itex]q=CV_c \\
\dfrac{dq}{dt} = i=V_c \dfrac{dC}{dt} \\
V_r = iR \\
E= \dfrac{q}{C} + V_c R \dfrac{dC}{dt} [/itex]

Are the above equations correct?
Why is my earlier equation dimensionally inconsistent?

EDIT:
They are correct but the fourth is unhelpful.
What can you say about Vc in terms of E, i0 and R where i0 is the constant current? What is i0 in this problem?

Also, get rid of q in your last equation.

Last edited:
rude man said:
EDIT:
They are correct but the fourth is unhelpful.
What can you say about Vc in terms of E, i0 and R where i0 is the constant current? What is i0 in this problem?

Also, get rid of q in your last equation.

Vc = E-i0 R

utkarshakash said:
Vc = E-i0 R

Excellent idea! Now, get rid of q.

rude man said:
Excellent idea! Now, get rid of q.

The last equation can be modified as

[itex]E = (E-i_0 R)(1+R\dfrac{dC}{dt}) [/itex]

utkarshakash said:
The last equation can be modified as

[itex]E = (E-i_0 R)(1+R\dfrac{dC}{dt}) [/itex]

Yes!

1. What is the velocity of capacitor plates?

The velocity of capacitor plates refers to the speed at which the plates move towards each other or away from each other when a voltage is applied to the capacitor.

2. How is the velocity of capacitor plates calculated?

The velocity of capacitor plates can be calculated using the formula v = d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the distance between the plates, and t is the time taken for the plates to move.

3. Does the velocity of capacitor plates change over time?

Yes, the velocity of capacitor plates can change over time due to factors such as the strength of the applied voltage, the distance between the plates, and the capacitance of the capacitor.

4. What is the effect of increasing the voltage on the velocity of capacitor plates?

Increasing the voltage applied to the capacitor will result in a higher velocity of the plates, as the electric field between the plates becomes stronger and exerts a greater force on the plates.

5. Is there a maximum velocity that capacitor plates can reach?

Yes, there is a maximum velocity that capacitor plates can reach, as the plates will eventually reach a point where they cannot move any further due to the opposing forces of the electric field and the mechanical stiffness of the plates.