Velocity of charge at the center thrown from far away point

In summary: It's "a lot of" calculus:wink:..I believe it is best to go by the conservation of energy...and not worry too much about the details.
gracy

here from time 0:53 to 0:58 velocity at center would be more than or approximately equal to zero .I want to ask why approximately zero why not zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi !

If the particle slows down to zero speed it doesn't cross any more.
So the use of the ##\ge## is a bit debatable indeed -- as you sort of detected.
Matter of wording. Somewhat unfortunate.

BvU said:
If the particle slows down to zero speed it doesn't cross any more.
So to cross it should have velocity more than zero .That's it.He Should only use > symbol i.e to cross the center ,velocity >0 why he goes on and uses equality sign and says approximately zero?
BvU said:
Matter of wording. Somewhat unfortunate.
Do you consider it unfortunate?"That's nice!"

Last edited:
The limit is for the = sign. For any ##\epsilon > 0 ## with which the speed exceeds this limit the thing will cross. That's more or less the physical definition of a limit. Doesn't get much better unless you go into the realm of mathematical analysis.
Let's not draw this into a 60+ posts thread and give the presenter a bit of latitude... :wink:

BvU said:
Let's not draw this into a 60+ posts thread
Relax ! It was just 4th post.
BvU said:
For any ϵ> 0 with which the speed exceeds this limit the thing will cross
I did not understand.

Last edited:
gracy said:
Relax ! It was just 4th post.

I did not understand.
If the speed at the center is 0, the charge won't cross the center. You got it right. You are supposed to find the minimum velocity of projection "above which" the particle will cross the center.

BvU said:
with which the speed exceeds this limit the thing will cross.
Which limit?

gracy said:
Which limit?
Limit of the velocity of projection. For a particular Vprojection, Vc will be 0. Above this limiting Vprojection, any value will make the charge cross the center.

Likes gracy
gracy said:
So to cross it should have velocity more than zero .That's it.He Should only use > symbol i.e to cross the center ,velocity >0 why he goes on and uses equality sign and says approximately zero?
In spite of lots of good answers on this ,I'am still having the same question/doubt.

Please explain.

BvU said:
Please explain.
I have quoted what's my question
gracy said:

It doesn't matter what he should or should not. And it doesn't matter why he goes on the way he does.
What matters is to find out what it is that prevents you from saying: I understand the exercise. I know what a limit is and how I can calculate it.
So: what is it that prevents you from saying: I understand the exercise. I know what a limit is and how I can calculate it.

I'm going to need some time to drive to work, then to do work and then for sports. So you have plenty of time to think this over and formulate a response ...

Likes cnh1995
Well, indeed Vc>0 for the charge to "cross" the center. But for the charge to "reach" the center, there is some limiting velocity of projection. So, concerned path of the charge is- from the center and ahead. Hence, mathematically, he wrote Vc≥0. When you "just exceed" the limiting value of velocity of projection, Vc will be "slightly" greater than 0. Hence, he said it will be approximately 0. Vc≥0 is the right equation to begin with.

Likes gracy
I understood it now but not by applying "limit method" rather with the help of @cnh1995 answer in above post.I would like to understand limit method as well.Is it the same limit which is used in mathematics?

I believe here "limit" means a limiting value which separates the two possibilities,
a)The charge will cross the center
b) It won't.
At a particular value, Vprojection will be such that it is the boundary condition for b. Above that, a will be true forever. So, for b to be true, maximum limit of Vprojection results in Vc=0(no math, only intuition!). Hence, from mathematical point of view, you are calculating the limit of Vprojection as Vc→0.

Likes gracy
If you want to do the exact mathematical analysis by limit method, you'll need to find Vprojection as a function of Vc, which will involve some calculus.

cnh1995 said:
Above that, a will be true forever.
And any value below that would result in b?

What makes you ask that ?

BvU said:
What makes you ask that ?
My understanding.It could be obviously wrong!

Have some faith. You did the calculations ! That's what came out. No doubt whatsoever possible. Obviously.

Likes gracy
gracy said:
And any value below that would result in b?
Yes. And I just did the problem using the limit method and got the same answer, but
cnh1995 said:
which will involve some calculus.
It's "a lot of" calculus:wink:..I believe it is best to go by the conservation of energy method.

1. What is the formula for calculating the velocity of charge at the center thrown from a far away point?

The formula for calculating the velocity of charge at the center thrown from a far away point is v = (kQ)/r, where v is the velocity, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance between the charge and the center point.

2. How does the distance between the charge and the center point affect the velocity?

The velocity of charge at the center thrown from a far away point is inversely proportional to the distance between the charge and the center point. This means that as the distance increases, the velocity decreases, and vice versa.

3. What is Coulomb's constant and how does it affect the velocity of charge?

Coulomb's constant, denoted by k, is a proportionality constant that relates the electrostatic force between two charged particles to the product of their charges and the distance between them. It affects the velocity of charge by determining the strength of the electrostatic force, which in turn affects the velocity of the charge.

4. Can the velocity of charge at the center thrown from a far away point ever be zero?

No, the velocity of charge at the center thrown from a far away point can never be zero. This is because the charge will always experience an electrostatic force from the source of the charge, causing it to move with a non-zero velocity.

5. How does the charge of the particle affect its velocity at the center thrown from a far away point?

The charge of the particle directly affects its velocity at the center thrown from a far away point. A higher charge will result in a higher velocity, while a lower charge will result in a lower velocity, assuming all other variables are constant.