How Does an Electron's Speed Change in a Uniform Electric Field?

In summary: Your name]In summary, to find the speed of the electron as it emerges from the field, we need to use the equations of motion for a particle in a uniform electric field. The electric field in this case is directed vertically downward, which means that the acceleration in the y-direction is given by Ay = -eE/m. We can use this equation along with the equation for the velocity in the y-direction, Vy = Voy + Ay*t, to find the speed of the electron as it emerges from the field. This is given by V = √(Vx^2 + Vy^2), where Vx is the initial velocity in the x-direction and Vy is the velocity in the y-direction.
MePhysics

Homework Statement

An electron is projected with an initial speed 1.50×10^6 m/s into the uniform field between the parallel plates in the figure . Assume that the field between the plates is uniform and directed vertically downward, and that the field outside the plates is zero. The electron enters the field at a point midway between the plates.

the plates distance apart is .01m
the plates length is .02 m

looks kinda of like this ..

------------------------------ - (+)

-e

--------------------------------- (-)
that's how it looks initially

If the electron just misses the upper plate as it emerges from the field, find the speed of the electron as it emerges from the field?

The Attempt at a Solution

so initial velocitys::
x:: Vo = given
(Vox is the same as Vx )
y:: Vy = 0

accelartion::::
Ax=0
Ay=Fy/m = -eE/m

time:::
delta X = Vox*t + (ax=0 so 0)
t= 1.33*10^-8 seconds

this is where I am stuck...
i need to find Vy and then V=Sqrt(Vx^2 +Vy^2) right?

i have Vx already... how do i get Vy...
i can find it if i know Ay or E but i dont...
any help? please ; thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I am a scientist who specializes in electromagnetism and I would be happy to help you with your problem.

To find the speed of the electron as it emerges from the field, we need to use the equations of motion for a particle in a uniform electric field. Firstly, we know that the electric field is directed vertically downward, which means that the force on the electron is also directed vertically downward. This means that the acceleration in the y-direction is given by Ay = -eE/m, where e is the charge of the electron, E is the magnitude of the electric field, and m is the mass of the electron.

Now, we need to use the equation for the velocity in the y-direction, which is given by Vy = Voy + Ay*t, where Voy is the initial velocity in the y-direction and t is the time the electron spends in the field. We can substitute the values we know into this equation to find Vy.

Once we have Vy, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the total speed of the electron as it emerges from the field. This is given by V = √(Vx^2 + Vy^2), where Vx is the initial velocity in the x-direction and Vy is the velocity in the y-direction that we just found.

I hope this helps you solve your problem. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Keep up the good work in your studies!

1. What is the velocity of charge plates?

The velocity of charge plates refers to the speed at which electrically charged plates move in an electric field. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or centimeters per second (cm/s).

2. How is the velocity of charge plates calculated?

The velocity of charge plates can be calculated using the equation v = E/m, where v is the velocity, E is the electric field strength, and m is the mass of the charged plates.

3. What factors affect the velocity of charge plates?

The velocity of charge plates can be affected by several factors, including the magnitude of the electric field, the mass of the charged plates, and any external forces acting on the plates.

4. What is the significance of the velocity of charge plates?

The velocity of charge plates is significant because it helps us understand the behavior of charged objects in an electric field. It also plays a crucial role in various applications, such as in the design of electronic devices and in particle accelerators.

5. How does the velocity of charge plates relate to the direction of the electric field?

The velocity of charge plates is directly proportional to the direction of the electric field. This means that the plates will move in the same direction as the electric field lines, with a greater velocity if the field is stronger and a lower velocity if the field is weaker.