1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity of charges

1. Apr 23, 2007 #1
    A proton of mass m and charge e is acclerated from rest through a potential difference V. The final speed of the proton is: ?

I tried to figure this out.. but I can't find the equation for this.

thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2007 #2

mezarashi

Homework Helper

A common definition for electric potential (voltage) is the work done per unit charge (or Joules per Coulomb) to move a charge from infinity to a point in an electric field.

With that knowledge, how much energy was transferred to this proton of charge e?

Knowing that the proton of mass m was initially at rest, and has now gained some kinetic energy E, what is it's speed?

4. Apr 23, 2007 #3
    so then answer is 2Ve/m...?

5. Apr 23, 2007 #4
    i get 2q/m... how does voltage apply to the answer?

6. Apr 23, 2007 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

A charge of q accelerated across a potential V will have a change in energy of delta(E) = qV. If at rest, the change in energy is equal to the change in kinetic energy, assuming it is non-relativistic, which is a reasonable assumption in the case.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?