Velocity of Electrons and Protons in Plasma Loops

In summary, there is an equation to find out the velocity of electrons and protons in a loop of plasma when a current is induced through it, but it is not clear whether the velocities would be in the same ratio as when the plasma is singly ionised.
skullcracker
Is there an equation to find out the velocity of electrons and protons in a loop of plasma when a current is induced through it?Is the velocity just equal in magnitude and opposite in direction or is it opposite in direction and the velocity dependent on mass of the particles?(implying that an equal amount of force is exerted on the electrons and protons)

Physics news on Phys.org

Conservation of momentum would tell you that the relative magnitudes of velocities would be around 1:1800ma, where ma is the 'atomic' mass of the ions. (Big ions slow, small electrons fast)
Your suggestion would only apply to a Hydrogen plasma so you need to consider the total mass of the ions. I have assumed singly ionised particles, of course.

So if I had a plasma which is a mixture consisting of an equal amount of protium and deutrium would the ratio of the velocities of electron, protium and deutrium (respectively)be 3600:2:1 ?

I think we need to think again about this.
Your numbers agree with momentum conservation so you may be right but I wondered whether they would hold for a mixture. Then, as I wrote the following, I came to a bit of an impasse. Here is my general thinking - I think it's worth sharing this sort of thing:

A protium plasma would have the ratio 1800:1 and a Deuterium plasma would have the ratio 3600:1 but could you be sure that the ion velocities would be 2:1 in ratio in a mixture? I should have thought that the KE of the ions would be the same so their velocities would be in the ratio 1:√2. But then the electrons would also have different velocities due to momentum conservation. This is a paradox.

I think my initial glib statement about momentum consideration could be at fault. This is not an isolated system and momentum can be transferred to the equipment / rest of the world so momentum of ions and electrons need not add up to zero. It would probably be better to assume that the work done on all the charges is the same. It would certainly be the case if the plasma were subject to an electric field across a gap - the eV would be the same for all. So I think, from energy considedrations, the ratios of velocity would be √(1800):1:1/√2 and to hell with momentum conservation.

I can say that the velocity of electrons and protons in a loop of plasma can be determined using the equation v = I/nq, where v is the velocity, I is the current, n is the number density of particles, and q is the charge of the particles. This equation takes into account the mass of the particles and the force exerted on them.

In a plasma loop, the velocity of electrons and protons will be opposite in direction due to their opposite charges. However, the magnitude of their velocities may not be equal, as it depends on the mass of the particles. The equation mentioned above also shows that the velocity is inversely proportional to the mass of the particles. Therefore, the velocity of electrons will be higher compared to protons due to their smaller mass.

It is also important to note that the velocity of particles in a plasma loop is not constant, as it can be affected by various factors such as electric and magnetic fields, collisions with other particles, and the overall structure of the loop. Therefore, the equation mentioned above can only provide an estimate of the velocity and further research and experimentation may be required to accurately determine the velocity of particles in a plasma loop.

In conclusion, the velocity of electrons and protons in a plasma loop can be determined using the equation v = I/nq, and it is dependent on the mass of the particles. The velocity of particles in a plasma loop may not be equal in magnitude, but they will be opposite in direction due to their opposite charges.

1. What is the Velocity of Electrons and Protons in Plasma Loops?

The velocity of electrons and protons in plasma loops varies depending on the specific conditions of the loop. In general, electrons tend to have higher velocities than protons due to their smaller mass. The average velocity of electrons in plasma loops is typically around 10^6 m/s, while protons have an average velocity of around 10^5 m/s.

2. How is the Velocity of Electrons and Protons in Plasma Loops measured?

The velocity of electrons and protons in plasma loops can be measured using various techniques such as spectroscopy, interferometry, and particle detectors. These techniques allow scientists to observe the energy and momentum of particles in the loop, which can then be used to calculate their velocities.

3. What factors affect the Velocity of Electrons and Protons in Plasma Loops?

Several factors can affect the velocity of electrons and protons in plasma loops. These include the strength of the magnetic field, the temperature of the plasma, and the density of the particles in the loop. Additionally, the presence of electric fields and plasma instabilities can also impact the velocities of particles in the loop.

4. How does the Velocity of Electrons and Protons in Plasma Loops impact the behavior of the loop?

The velocity of electrons and protons in plasma loops plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of the loop. The high velocities of electrons allow for efficient energy transfer and heating of the plasma, while the slower velocities of protons can contribute to the overall stability of the loop. Additionally, the differences in velocities between electrons and protons can lead to instabilities and turbulence within the loop.

5. Can the Velocity of Electrons and Protons in Plasma Loops be controlled?

While the velocities of electrons and protons in plasma loops can be influenced by external factors, they cannot be directly controlled. However, scientists can manipulate the conditions of the plasma loop, such as the strength of the magnetic field, in order to indirectly control the velocities of particles. This can be useful for optimizing energy transfer and stability within the loop.