1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity of EM waves

1. Nov 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the velocity of EM waves as a function of [tex]\epsilon_{0}[/tex] and [tex]\mu_{0}[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution

[tex]E = E_{0}cos(kx-\omega t)[/tex]

Using [tex]v= \frac{\omega}{k}[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When you used Maxwell's equations to derive the wave equation, you should have ended up with an answer to this :wink:

4. Nov 7, 2008 #3
    No, I didn't. But I can substitute my expression for E into the wave equation. What is [tex]\vec{\nabla}^{2}E[/tex]?

[tex]\frac{\partial^{2}E}{\partial x^{2}} + \frac{\partial^{2}E}{\partial t^{2}}[/tex]?

5. Nov 7, 2008 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Last time I checked, Maxwell's equations were in terms of [itex]\epsilon_0[/tex] and [itex]\mu_0[/itex] not [itex]c[/itex]; so you should have ended up with a wave equation where the propagation speed is in terms of [itex]\epsilon_0[/tex] and [itex]\mu_0[/itex]...if you didn't, then you did something wrong....I think you should go back to that problem and show me your work.

6. Nov 7, 2008 #5
    double

7. Nov 7, 2008 #6
    Of course...

So [tex]\vec{\nabla}^{2}E[/tex] = [tex]\frac{\partial^{2}E}{\partial x^{2}} + \frac{\partial^{2}E}{\partial y^{2}} + \frac{\partial^{2}E}{\partial z^{2}}[/tex] (only spatial dimension, not time)?

8. Nov 7, 2008 #7

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you even read my last post?

9. Nov 7, 2008 #8
    Yes.[tex]\frac{1}{v^{2}} = \mu_{0}\epsilon_{0}[/tex], so [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{\epsilon_{0}\mu_{0}}} = v[/tex]. That's what you meant, right?

That would mean that (if I substitute my expression for E into the wave equation) [tex]\vec{\nabla}^{2}E = \frac{\partial^{2}E}{\partial x^{2}} + \frac{\partial^{2}E}{\partial y^{2}} + \frac{\partial^{2}E}{\partial z^{2}}[/tex].

Can I also write [tex]\vec{\nabla}^{2}E = \frac{\partial^{2}E}{\partial \vec{r}^{2}}[/tex]?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  10. Nov 8, 2008 #9

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

First, the electric field is vector, not a scalar so this relation is incorrect...second what does this have to do with finding v...or anything else for that matter? :confused:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?