Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Velocity of EM waves

1. Nov 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the velocity of EM waves as a function of [tex]\epsilon_{0}[/tex] and [tex]\mu_{0}[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution

[tex]E = E_{0}cos(kx-\omega t)[/tex]

Using [tex]v= \frac{\omega}{k}[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When you used Maxwell's equations to derive the wave equation, you should have ended up with an answer to this :wink:

4. Nov 7, 2008 #3
    No, I didn't. But I can substitute my expression for E into the wave equation. What is [tex]\vec{\nabla}^{2}E[/tex]?

[tex]\frac{\partial^{2}E}{\partial x^{2}} + \frac{\partial^{2}E}{\partial t^{2}}[/tex]?

5. Nov 7, 2008 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Last time I checked, Maxwell's equations were in terms of [itex]\epsilon_0[/tex] and [itex]\mu_0[/itex] not [itex]c[/itex]; so you should have ended up with a wave equation where the propagation speed is in terms of [itex]\epsilon_0[/tex] and [itex]\mu_0[/itex]...if you didn't, then you did something wrong....I think you should go back to that problem and show me your work.

6. Nov 7, 2008 #5
    double

7. Nov 7, 2008 #6
    Of course...

So [tex]\vec{\nabla}^{2}E[/tex] = [tex]\frac{\partial^{2}E}{\partial x^{2}} + \frac{\partial^{2}E}{\partial y^{2}} + \frac{\partial^{2}E}{\partial z^{2}}[/tex] (only spatial dimension, not time)?

8. Nov 7, 2008 #7

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you even read my last post?

9. Nov 7, 2008 #8
    Yes.[tex]\frac{1}{v^{2}} = \mu_{0}\epsilon_{0}[/tex], so [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{\epsilon_{0}\mu_{0}}} = v[/tex]. That's what you meant, right?

That would mean that (if I substitute my expression for E into the wave equation) [tex]\vec{\nabla}^{2}E = \frac{\partial^{2}E}{\partial x^{2}} + \frac{\partial^{2}E}{\partial y^{2}} + \frac{\partial^{2}E}{\partial z^{2}}[/tex].

Can I also write [tex]\vec{\nabla}^{2}E = \frac{\partial^{2}E}{\partial \vec{r}^{2}}[/tex]?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  10. Nov 8, 2008 #9

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

First, the electric field is vector, not a scalar so this relation is incorrect...second what does this have to do with finding v...or anything else for that matter? :confused:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook