Exploring the Relationship Between Velocity and Displacement in Pulley Systems

In summary, the conversation involves a student and an expert discussing a problem involving displacement and velocity of objects connected by pulleys and strings. The student presents their attempt at a solution and the teacher provides feedback on why it is incorrect. The discussion also touches on the concept of relative velocity and the importance of considering the motion of all connected objects in a system.
prakhargupta3301

Homework Statement

Kokakola.png

Homework Equations

xcxcxcxcxcxcxcxcxcxcxc[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt:
Let displacement of A be x m,
Let displacement of B be y m, and
Let displacement of C be z m.
Step2: [/B]a+b+c+d=(a+x-y)+(b+x)+c+(d+z)
2x-y=-z
Differentiating LHS and RHS components w.r.t dt:
d2x/dt - dy/dt = -dz/dt
2vx- vy= -vz
20-5=-z
15=-z
z= -15m/s (In upwards direction. Is this what the -ve sign means?)

Teacher's attempt:
Let displacement of A be x m,
Let displacement of B be y m, and
Let displacement of C be z m.

Step2: a+b+c+d=(a+x-y)+(b+x-y)+c+(d+z)
0=2x-2y+z
Differentiating by dt on both sides:
2vy-2vx= vz
10-20=vz
-10=vz
v=-10m/sPlease tell why is my attempt wrong (In step two)

Thank you for reading.

Attachments

• Kokakola.png
    Kokakola.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 989
Physics news on Phys.org
As I understand your steps, you have computed the vertical velocity of object C (i.e. vz). Is its resulting motion purely vertical?

Yes, you are correct.
Also, everything is rigid here: moving bodies, pulleys, strings, everything.

prakhargupta3301 said:
Step2: a+b+c+d=(a+x-y)+(b+x)+c+(d+z) [OP's attempt]

The highlighted term is the only difference in your setup compared with the teacher's setup. This term is also not correct.

Also, jbriggs444 asked an important question, don't overlook.

It's easier to do this problem by adopting an inertial frame of reference that is moving to the left with the speed of B (5 m/s), so that B appears stationary. As reckoned from this frame of reference, A would be moving to the left at 5 m/s.

Chestermiller said:
It's easier to do this problem by adopting an inertial frame of reference that is moving to the left with the speed of B (5 m/s), so that B appears stationary. As reckoned from this frame of reference, A would be moving to the left at 5 m/s.
So if I take B as the reference point, then A would apparently move at 15m/s. Right?
But my real question is in step two of the answer. Why has the teacher subtracted length 'y' from b?

jbriggs444 said:
As I understand your steps, you have computed the vertical velocity of object C (i.e. vz). Is its resulting motion purely vertical?
Yes. you are correct. The motion is purely vertical and the bodies are rigid.

lewando said:
The highlighted term is the only difference in your setup compared with the teacher's setup. This term is also not correct.
So, if my attempt isn't correct, then what will be the correct term?
And why?

prakhargupta3301 said:
But my real question is in step two of the answer. Why has the teacher subtracted length 'y' from b?
Could it be that the teacher is assuming that the lower, right pulley is somehow attached to B (even though the picture shows no attachment)? If so, then this pulley moves to the left with B.

prakhargupta3301 said:
So if I take B as the reference point, then A would apparently move at 15m/s. Right?
Wrong. A would apparently move at 5 m/s.
There is no step two to my answer. The length of strings a and b are both increasing by 5 m/s. The length of string c is constant. So the length of string d must be decreasing by 10 m/s.

Chestermiller said:
Wrong. A would apparently move at 5 m/s.

There is no step two to my answer. The length of strings a and b are both increasing by 5 m/s. The length of string c is constant. So the length of string d must be decreasing by 10 m/s.
Okay. THank you. Though I still don't get why it's 5m/s.
But thank you anyways.

TSny said:
Could it be that the teacher is assuming that the lower, right pulley is somehow attached to B (even though the picture shows no attachment)? If so, then this pulley moves to the left with B.
Yes. Perhaps that is the problem. THank you for replying.

prakhargupta3301 said:
Yes. you are correct. The motion is purely vertical and the bodies are rigid.
Think again.

Likes prakhargupta3301
prakhargupta3301 said:
If you represent the change in length a as a + (x-y), then why would you not think the same for length b? If the pulley between b and c is rigid, as you have stated in post #3 (TSny points out the lack of attachment to B in the graphic), then the right side of b moves with B, same as the right side of a.

Likes prakhargupta3301
prakhargupta3301 said:
Okay. THank you. Though I still don't get why it's 5m/s.
But thank you anyways.
In vector form, the velocity of block A is ##\mathbf{v_A}=-10\mathbf{i_x}##, where ##\mathbf{i_x}## is the unit vector in the positive x direction. Similarly, if vector form, the velocity of block B is ##\mathbf{v_B}=-10\mathbf{i_x}##. Therefore, the relative velocity of block A with respect to block B is ##\mathbf{V_{AB}}=\mathbf{v_A}-\mathbf{v_B}=-5\mathbf{i_x}\ m/s##

Likes prakhargupta3301
Chestermiller said:
In vector form, the velocity of block A is ##\mathbf{v_A}=-10\mathbf{i_x}##, where ##\mathbf{i_x}## is the unit vector in the positive x direction. Similarly, if vector form, the velocity of block B is ##\mathbf{v_B}=-10\mathbf{i_x}##. Therefore, the relative velocity of block A with respect to block B is ##\mathbf{V_{AB}}=\mathbf{v_A}-\mathbf{v_B}=-5\mathbf{i_x}\ m/s##
I get it now. Finally. THank you so much for bearing with a 15 year old :D
I was simply adding them earlier. Now I know what's correct.

Yes. I was wrong to assume that B will only increase in x direction.
lewando said:
If you represent the change in length a as a + (x-y), then why would you not think the same for length b? If the pulley between b and c is rigid, as you have stated in post #3 (TSny points out the lack of attachment to B in the graphic), then the right side of b moves with B, same as the right side of a.

jbriggs444 said:
Think again.
Ok. Thank you.

What is the velocity of a mass with pulleys?

The velocity of a mass with pulleys depends on several factors such as the mass of the object, the force applied, and the number of pulleys used. It can be calculated using the basic formula for velocity: velocity = distance/time.

How do pulleys affect the velocity of a mass?

Pulleys can either increase or decrease the velocity of a mass depending on the direction of the applied force. Using multiple pulleys can also affect the velocity by reducing the force needed to move the object.

What is the relationship between pulleys and acceleration?

Pulleys can affect the acceleration of a mass by either increasing or decreasing the force needed to move the object. They can also change the direction of the force, which can affect the direction of acceleration.

How does the mass of the object affect its velocity with pulleys?

The mass of an object can significantly affect its velocity with pulleys. A heavier object will require more force to accelerate, while a lighter object will require less force. This means that the mass of the object can directly impact its velocity when using pulleys.

Can pulleys increase the efficiency of moving a mass?

Yes, pulleys can increase the efficiency of moving a mass by reducing the force needed to move the object. This is because pulleys can distribute the force over multiple ropes, making it easier to lift heavy objects.