1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity of object

1. Mar 21, 2009 #1
    Hello, i have to work out the velocity of a catapult which i had to do for my AS Quality of measurement coursework where I'm trying to find the optimum angle of launch.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A ball is fired from a catapult 0.5m above the ground, the ball hits the ground 1.45m away, the angle of launch is 45°. Calculate the velocity of the ball.

2. Relevant equations
    v^2= u^2 + 2as

3. The attempt at a solution

Attempted it by plugging numbers into that equation but comes up with 37.6 m/s, whilst watching the catapult fire it took a few seconds to land so it couldn't be that fast, although after using Time = Distance/Speed it appears to be 3.9s which could be right but I'm not sure. Am I using the wrong equation i need to compare this to other angles but not sure what equation to use with angles.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2009 #2
    Sorry, are you trying to find out the optimum angle of launch? Because you stated an angle in section one, the known data.

4. Mar 21, 2009 #3
    I was using 45° as an example, whilst doing the experiment I measured the distance travelled for 11 angles at 5° intervals from 20° to 70°. As 45° is the optimum angle excluding air resistance I'm going to work that one out first and compare to other angles. Should of included more detail. :smile:

5. Mar 21, 2009 #4
    How did you get the to answer of 3.9 seconds and 37.6 ms-1? From what you have given me in section one (the known data) I can only find the horizontal distance and the launch angle, and I cannot understand how you find your given answer from that. Is there a missing piece of data that you might have forgotten?

6. Mar 21, 2009 #5
    I worked it out for myself, noticed i was making a huge error by putting the displacement in cm instead of metres, silly me. :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook