Find Optimum Angle of Launch: Calculate Velocity of Ball from Catapult

• Thread starter monkeyguy31
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the student is trying to find the optimum angle of launch for a catapult in their AS Quality of measurement coursework. They conducted an experiment where they measured the distance traveled for 11 angles at 5° intervals from 20° to 70°. They used the equation v^2= u^2 + 2as to calculate the velocity of the ball, but realized they made a mistake by using centimeters instead of meters. The correct answer appears to be 37.6 m/s and a time of 3.9 seconds.
monkeyguy31
Hello, i have to work out the velocity of a catapult which i had to do for my AS Quality of measurement coursework where I'm trying to find the optimum angle of launch.

Homework Statement

A ball is fired from a catapult 0.5m above the ground, the ball hits the ground 1.45m away, the angle of launch is 45°. Calculate the velocity of the ball.

Homework Equations

v^2= u^2 + 2as

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempted it by plugging numbers into that equation but comes up with 37.6 m/s, whilst watching the catapult fire it took a few seconds to land so it couldn't be that fast, although after using Time = Distance/Speed it appears to be 3.9s which could be right but I'm not sure. Am I using the wrong equation i need to compare this to other angles but not sure what equation to use with angles.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, are you trying to find out the optimum angle of launch? Because you stated an angle in section one, the known data.

I was using 45° as an example, whilst doing the experiment I measured the distance traveled for 11 angles at 5° intervals from 20° to 70°. As 45° is the optimum angle excluding air resistance I'm going to work that one out first and compare to other angles. Should of included more detail. :smile:

How did you get the to answer of 3.9 seconds and 37.6 ms-1? From what you have given me in section one (the known data) I can only find the horizontal distance and the launch angle, and I cannot understand how you find your given answer from that. Is there a missing piece of data that you might have forgotten?

I worked it out for myself, noticed i was making a huge error by putting the displacement in cm instead of metres, silly me. :rofl:

1. How do I find the optimum angle of launch for a ball from a catapult?

The optimum angle of launch can be found by using the equation: θ = arctan((2h)/(g*t2)) where θ is the optimum angle, h is the height of the launch platform, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time of flight of the ball.

2. What is the relationship between the angle of launch and the velocity of the ball?

The velocity of the ball is directly related to the angle of launch. The higher the angle of launch, the higher the initial velocity of the ball will be. However, there is an optimum angle of launch that will result in the maximum distance traveled by the ball.

3. How do I calculate the velocity of the ball from a catapult?

The velocity of the ball can be calculated using the equation: v = √((g*d)/sin(2θ)) where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, d is the distance traveled by the ball, and θ is the angle of launch. This equation assumes that the ball is launched from ground level.

4. What factors can affect the optimum angle of launch and the velocity of the ball?

The optimum angle of launch and the velocity of the ball can be affected by several factors such as the height of the launch platform, the weight and size of the ball, the elasticity of the catapult, and external factors like air resistance and wind.

5. How can I use this information in real-world applications?

The knowledge of finding the optimum angle of launch and calculating the velocity of a ball from a catapult can be applied in various fields such as sports, engineering, and physics. It can be used to design more efficient catapults, improve the accuracy of projectiles in sports like archery and javelin throw, and understand the principles of projectile motion in physics experiments.