Solving Velocity & Angle of Proton After Glancing Collision

In summary: So, in summary, the problem involves a perfectly inelastic collision between two equal mass protons, one of which is initially at rest. The velocity of the second proton after the collision is found to be 4.6 * 10^5 m/s at a 40 degree angle to the original incoming proton's direction. The velocity of the other proton after the collision is calculated to be (4.5 * 10^5 i - 3 * 10^5 j) m/s. The angle between the two protons after the collision is found to be 33 degrees. It is important to consider the law of conservation of momentum and the fact that momentum is a vector quantity in solving this problem.
yardy_genius
can someone please demonstrate how a question such as this is solved.

A proton traveling with a velocity 6.0 × 105 m/s i
makes a glancing collision with a second proton
at rest. One of the protons is observed after the
collision to be moving with a velocity
V1 = 4.6 x 105 m/s at a 40 degree angle to the original
incoming proton’s direction.
i. Determine the velocity of the other proton
after the collision in unit vector notation
ii. Calculate the angle θ.

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of material is this covering? Does it incorporate the Coulomb force between the protons? (I suppose probably not, since the "glancing collision" would have some... complications, I believe.) Or is it just treating it like a particular perfectly elastic collision?

WJSwanson said:
What kind of material is this covering? Does it incorporate the Coulomb force between the protons? (I suppose probably not, since the "glancing collision" would have some... complications, I believe.) Or is it just treating it like a particular perfectly elastic collision?

more on the basis of elastic collisions.

i know that the momentum in x direction is equal to the momentum in the y but i am not given a mass? but i suppose it cancels out.

here is a diagram.

[PLAIN]http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/9633/vectord.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
ok this is what i did,

resolving x component

V1= 6.0X 10^5 cos40
= 4.5

V2= -4.6x 10^5 sin40

=-3

therefore velocity of other proton in unit vector form = (4.5 x10^5i -3 X 10^5j)

angle between them is tan (inv) -3/4.5 = 33 degrees.

is this correct?

Okay, so since this is just a problem involving a perfectly inelastic collision, I'll give you a couple of morsels for thought that should get you set. If it doesn't help at all, I'll be back in the morning. Anyway:

1. Think in terms of the law of conservation of momentum and that the masses are equal to each other: you can pick an arbitrary mass m and you should still get the right answer. Otherwise, IIRC the mass of a proton is just 1.67 * 10-27kg.

2. Remember that momentum is a vector quantity and consider the implication that has on what quantities are conserved by the law of conservation of momentum.

WJSwanson said:
Okay, so since this is just a problem involving a perfectly inelastic collision, I'll give you a couple of morsels for thought that should get you set. If it doesn't help at all, I'll be back in the morning. Anyway:

1. Think in terms of the law of conservation of momentum and that the masses are equal to each other: you can pick an arbitrary mass m and you should still get the right answer. Otherwise, IIRC the mass of a proton is just 1.67 * 10-27kg.

2. Remember that momentum is a vector quantity and consider the implication that has on what quantities are conserved by the law of conservation of momentum.

check my previous post to see if am on the right track

Yeah, sorry about that. You posted while I was typing lol. And my browser just crashed a moment ago so I lost the lengthy response I typed up. Anyway, checking the answer to make sure v0 = Ʃvf...

v0 = < 6.0 * 105m/s , 0 m/s >

So you've got...

v1 = < 4.6 * 105m/s , -3.0 * 105m/s >

v2 = < 4.5 * 105m/s , -3.0 * 105m/s >

unless I'm reading this horribly wrong.

So when we add the two vectors, we should get < 6.0 * 105m/s , 0 m/s >.

What we get instead is < 9.1 * 105m/s , -6.0 * 105m/s >

Remember that the velocity of that proton you're given after the collision is indeed given by

[itex]v_{1}[/itex] [itex] = 4.5 * 10^{5}m/s < cos 40 , sin 40 >[/itex]

like you thought, and that your two final-velocity vectors have to add up to be equal to that initial velocity vector of

[itex]v_{0} = 6.0 * 10^{5}m/s < 1 , 0 >[/itex].

1. What is the equation used to solve for the velocity and angle of a proton after a glancing collision?

The equation used to solve for the velocity and angle of a proton after a glancing collision is the conservation of momentum equation, which states that the initial momentum of the proton before the collision is equal to the final momentum of the proton after the collision.

2. How do you determine the initial and final momentums of the proton in a glancing collision?

The initial momentum of the proton can be determined by multiplying its mass by its initial velocity. The final momentum can be determined by multiplying its mass by its final velocity, which can be solved using the conservation of energy equation.

3. What factors affect the velocity and angle of the proton after a glancing collision?

The velocity and angle of the proton after a glancing collision can be affected by the mass, velocity, and angle of the colliding object, as well as any external forces acting on the proton during the collision.

4. How can you experimentally determine the velocity and angle of a proton after a glancing collision?

The velocity and angle of a proton after a glancing collision can be experimentally determined by using a particle accelerator and measuring the initial and final momentums of the proton using specialized detectors.

5. Can the velocity and angle of a proton after a glancing collision be accurately predicted?

Yes, the velocity and angle of a proton after a glancing collision can be accurately predicted by using the conservation of momentum equation and taking into consideration all relevant factors that may affect the collision.