Optimizing ROV sinking velocity using buoyancy and resistive force

In summary: As long as it's sinking at a constant speed, it's good.You are correct in observing that the net force on the ROV is not zero. However, the net force on the ROV is not zero because the resistive force of the water is balanced by the buoyant force of the water. In other words, the net force on the ROV is equal to the difference between the buoyant force and the resistive force. This net force causes the ROV to accelerate downwards at a constant velocity of 1.2m/s. To determine the amount of water the ROV needs to take on board, we can use the equation F=ma, where m is the mass of the ROV, a is the acceleration
vincekillics

Homework Statement

A small spherical under water ROV (remotely operated vehicle) has a radius of 0.5m and a mass of 450kg. It sinks or rises in the ocean by taking water on board or pumping it back out again. How much water must it take on board to sink at a constant velocity of 1.2m/s. The resistive force on it from the water is 130N. Assume the density of seawater is 1.03 x 103 kg/m3.

Homework Equations

P=ρgV/ρgh
F=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

First I tried to calculate the volume of the rov using 4/3 phi r^3, i got 0.52m^3
then I calculated the buoyancy force using ρgV and got 5254.236N and add up the resistive force of 130 N I got 5384.236N after this i don't know what to do

Physics news on Phys.org
vincekillics said:

Homework Statement

A small spherical under water ROV (remotely operated vehicle) has a radius of 0.5m and a mass of 450kg. It sinks or rises in the ocean by taking water on board or pumping it back out again. How much water must it take on board to sink at a constant velocity of 1.2m/s. The resistive force on it from the water is 130N. Assume the density of seawater is 1.03 x 103 kg/m3.

Homework Equations

P=ρgV/ρgh
F=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

First I tried to calculate the volume of the rov using 4/3 phi r^3, i got 0.52m^3
then I calculated the buoyancy force using ρgV and got 5254.236N and add up the resistive force of 130 N I got 5384.236N after this i don't know what to do
First thing to do is draw a free body diagram of the ROV and show all the forces acting on this vessel.

You are given the mass of the vessel (450 kg) and you have calculated the buoyant force. You are given the drag force when the ROV sinks (130 N). You'll need to calculate how much water the ROV needs to take on board so that it can sink. Remember, the drag force is developed only while the ROV is sinking.

SteamKing said:
First thing to do is draw a free body diagram of the ROV and show all the forces acting on this vessel.

You are given the mass of the vessel (450 kg) and you have calculated the buoyant force. You are given the drag force when the ROV sinks (130 N). You'll need to calculate how much water the ROV needs to take on board so that it can sink. Remember, the drag force is developed only while the ROV is sinking.

Hi, thanks for answering, but I still struggle to find the answer, I know that the rov would have to change its density to sink, the problem is I don't understand how to correlate the sinking velocity to the F=mg

vincekillics said:
Hi, thanks for answering, but I still struggle to find the answer, I know that the rov would have to change its density to sink, the problem is I don't understand how to correlate the sinking velocity to the F=mg
If the submarine is sinking at constant velocity, what is its acceleration?

must be 0m/s^2 right?

vincekillics said:
must be 0m/s^2 right?
Correct.

And if the acceleration of the body is zero, what does this imply about the net force which acts on said body?

SteamKing said:
Correct.

And if the acceleration of the body is zero, what does this imply about the net force which acts on said body?
net force should be 0 ? but Fmg > Fb on sinking object ?

vincekillics said:
Which is why you are asked to calculate how much water ballast to add to the ROV to get it to sink. :wink:

There are many commercial models of ROV & AUV on the market today. A few have used variable ballast systems such as you have described, but not very successfully. VB systems are only suited to larger models weighing in the tons, due to the weight of the equipment required to effect the required changes. EG if you want to change the payload (water in this case) by 1 Ton. The equipment required to effect this change - motor, pump, pipework, valves, pressure resistant tank, would likely weigh close to a ton. Possibly even more for a very deep rated sub. Therefore it is a very inefficient means of changing depth. It only comes into its own when you get up to subs weighing 10T or more. ROVs these days use thrusters to change depth or Altitude) depending upon whether you're measuring from the seabed or the surface. Even large ROVs weighing 40T.

vincekillics said:
Yes, but the barest downward motion will do, so the net force can be as close to zero as you like.

1. What is the velocity of a sinking submarine?

The velocity of a sinking submarine depends on various factors such as the weight of the submarine, water density, and external forces acting upon it. Generally, the velocity of a sinking submarine ranges from 5 to 7 knots.

2. How does the velocity of a sinking submarine affect its depth?

The velocity of a sinking submarine directly affects its depth. As the submarine sinks, it gains momentum and the water pressure increases, causing it to sink deeper at a faster rate.

3. Can the velocity of a sinking submarine be controlled?

Yes, the velocity of a sinking submarine can be controlled through various mechanisms such as adjusting the angle of the dive planes, using ballast tanks, and adjusting the speed of the propellers.

4. What is the ideal velocity for a sinking submarine?

The ideal velocity for a sinking submarine depends on the mission and the conditions it is operating in. Generally, a slow and controlled descent is preferred for safety reasons, but in certain scenarios, a faster velocity may be necessary.

5. How does the velocity of a sinking submarine affect its stability?

The velocity of a sinking submarine does not significantly affect its stability as it is designed to maintain stability in various conditions. However, a sudden change in velocity can affect the trim of the submarine and may require adjustments to maintain stability.