What is the velocity of a sliding ladder in respect to the wall and bottom?

In summary, the velocity of the top of the ladder with respect to the wall is 0.34 m/s, and the velocity of the top of the ladder with respect to the bottom of the ladder is 0.34 m/s in the y-direction and 0.2 m/s in the x-direction. This can be found by considering the parallel components of each end's velocity and using vector subtraction.
Rugile

Homework Statement

A ladder of length L = 3 m is leaning against the wall and the angle between ground and and ladder is α=60°. The bottom of the ladder slides at speed Vb = 0.2 m/s. Find the velocity of top of the ladder in respect to
1) wall;
2) bottom of the ladder.

Homework Equations

vx = [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex]
vy = [itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

tan(α) = [itex]\frac{y}{x}[/itex], so y(x) = xtan(α). Then we find the derivatives of both sides of equation:
[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex] =[itex]\frac{d}{dt}xtan(α)[/itex]=>vy1=vx*tan(α)
And so vy1 = 0.2*tan(60°)=0.34 m/s.
So this is the velocity of top part in respect to wall, right? I'm not sure what to do next - to find the velocity in respect to the bottom. Are my calculations right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rugile said:

Homework Statement

A ladder of length L = 3 m is leaning against the wall and the angle between ground and and ladder is α=60°. The bottom of the ladder slides at speed Vb = 0.2 m/s. Find the velocity of top of the ladder in respect to
1) wall;
2) bottom of the ladder.

Homework Equations

vx = [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex]
vy = [itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

tan(α) = [itex]\frac{y}{x}[/itex], so y(x) = xtan(α). Then we find the derivatives of both sides of equation:
[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex] =[itex]\frac{d}{dt}xtan(α)[/itex]=>vy1=vx*tan(α)
And so vy1 = 0.2*tan(60°)=0.34 m/s.
So this is the velocity of top part in respect to wall, right? I'm not sure what to do next - to find the velocity in respect to the bottom. Are my calculations right?
In the first part, you got the correct magnitude for the velocity, but not the correct direction. Don't forget that velocity is a vector. For the second part, express the velocities of the ends of the ladder in vector form relative to a fixed observer. Then to get the relative velocity of one end with respect to (i.e., relative to) the other end, subtract the vector velocity of one end from the vector velocity of the other end.

In the first part, you got the correct magnitude for the velocity, but not the correct direction. Don't forget that velocity is a vector. For the second part, express the velocities of the ends of the ladder in vector form relative to a fixed observer. Then to get the relative velocity of one end with respect to (i.e., relative to) the other end, subtract the vector velocity of one end from the vector velocity of the other end.

So you mean that vy1 < 0? But what if I choose my Y-axis to be downwards?
So let's say for the second part we choose the fixed observer to be the point of intersection of wall and ground. Vx then would be [itex]\vec{v}[/itex]x = x*t and [itex]\vec{v}[/itex]y=y*t ?

Rugile said:
So you mean that vy1 < 0? But what if I choose my Y-axis to be downwards?
So let's say for the second part we choose the fixed observer to be the point of intersection of wall and ground. Vx then would be [itex]\vec{v}[/itex]x = x*t and [itex]\vec{v}[/itex]y=y*t ?
Suppose you call Vb the horizontal speed of the bottom of the ladder (0.2m/s), and you call Vt the vertical speed of the top of the ladder (0.34 m/s), and, if you choose the y-axis as downward, then, relative to a fixed observer, the velocity of the bottom of the ladder is [itex]\vec{v_b}=V_b\vec{i_x}[/itex], and the velocity of the top of the ladder relative to a fixed observer is [itex]\vec{v_t}=V_t\vec{i_y}[/itex], where [itex]\vec{i_x}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{i_y}[/itex] are unit vectors in the coordinate directions. Since the wall is fixed, the velocity of the top of the ladder with respect to the wall is [itex]\vec{v_t}=V_t\vec{i_y}[/itex]. The velocity of the top of the ladder with respect to an observer traveling along with the bottom of the ladder is [itex]\vec{v_t}-\vec{v_b}=V_t\vec{i_y}-V_b\vec{i_x}[/itex].

Likes 1 person
Got it, thanks!

The first part can be done without calculus. Just consider the component of each end's velocity parallel to the ladder. Since the ladder does not change length, what is the relative velocity in that direction?

1. What is the velocity of a sliding ladder?

The velocity of a sliding ladder refers to the speed at which the ladder moves down a surface while remaining in contact with it. It is typically measured in meters per second or feet per second.

2. How is the velocity of a sliding ladder calculated?

The velocity of a sliding ladder can be calculated using the formula v = sqrt(2gh), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height of the ladder at any given time.

3. What factors affect the velocity of a sliding ladder?

The velocity of a sliding ladder can be affected by several factors, including the angle of the ladder, the coefficient of friction between the ladder and the surface, and the weight of the ladder and anything on it.

4. What is the relationship between velocity and acceleration of a sliding ladder?

The velocity and acceleration of a sliding ladder are directly related. As the ladder slides down the surface, its velocity increases while its acceleration remains constant due to the force of gravity acting on it.

5. How can the velocity of a sliding ladder be controlled?

The velocity of a sliding ladder can be controlled by adjusting the angle of the ladder, using materials with different coefficients of friction, and adding weight to the ladder to increase its frictional force. It can also be controlled by applying external forces, such as pushing or pulling on the ladder.