1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity of the center of mass

1. Oct 15, 2006 #1
    I am having a tough time with this one...
    Body A of mass 4 kg is moving in the +x-direction with a speed of 15 m/s. Body B of mass 5 kg is moving in the -y-direction with a speed of 8 m/s. What are the x- and y-components of the velocity of the center of mass of the two bodies?
    How do I relate CM and velocity?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I assume you know how to calculate the center of mass if given the masses and positions of two objects. In this problem the objects are moving with constant velocity, so the positions will be changing with time. Write the equation of motion for each object, and use the position expressions in the CM equation. With a little rearrangement, you will have the equation of motion for the CM

Last edited: Oct 15, 2006
  4. Oct 15, 2006 #3
    Thanks for the help. Your explanation made it very easy to comprehend. I appreciate it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?