1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity of the Moon

1. Jan 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The velocity of the Moon relative to the center of the Earth can be approximated by varrowbold(t) = v [−sin (ωt) xhatbold + cos (ωt) yhatbold], where v = 945 m/s and ω = 2.46 multiplied by 10−6 radians/s. (The time required for the Moon to complete one orbit is 29.5 days.) To approximate the instantaneous acceleration of the Moon at t = 0, calculate the magnitude and direction of the average acceleration during the following two time intervals.

(a) between t = 0 and t = 0.400 days
    ______ m/s
    ______ degrees (counterclockwise from the +x axis)

(b) between t = 0 and t = 0.0040 days
    _____ m/s
    _____ degrees (counterclockwise from the +x axis)

2. Relevant equations
    aav = delta v / delta t
    ax = delta vx / delta t
    ay = delta vy / delta t
    magnitude = sqroot (ay^2 + ax^2)
    theta = tan-1 (ay / ax)

3. The attempt at a solution

I got the magnitudes of both at 0.00233 m/s. I am having trouble finding the directions though.

I just used ax = delta vx / delta t and ay = delta vy / delta t to find the values of ax and ay, then I subbed these numbers into this eqn: magnitude = sqroot (ay^2 + ax^2). My answer for the direction in part (a) was 2.43558 degrees... which is wrong. Can anyone think of a better way to do this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2010 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Why did you calculate acceleration? You're supposed to calculate velocity. Theta would be the inverse tan of Vy/Vx.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook