Velocity of Buoyant Plug in Closed Loop

• I
  • Thread starter erobz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the conversation revolves around the problem of natural circulation in a closed loop filled with water and the velocity of a buoyant plug in this system. The discussion touches on topics such as the constancy of the buoyant force, the effect of fluid acceleration on buoyancy, and the energy balance in the system. Approaches using both momentum and energy are proposed to solve the problem, and there is also some confusion regarding the definition of the "plug" in the system. Ultimately, the main question remains unanswered: what is the velocity of the buoyant plug in this setup?
erobz
Homework Helper
Gold Member
A problem I was thinking about when talking about natural circulation in a closed loop in another thread:

What is the velocity of the buoyant plug? The loop is filled with water. There are no viscous forces acting on the plug or in the flow. The flow is assumed incompressible.

1679072187705.png

1) Is the buoyant force constant? I was thinking conservation of energy, but does the fact that the fluid is accelerating with the plug effect it?

$$ \int F_b ~dh = m_p g h + \frac{1}{2}m_p v_p^2 + \frac{1}{2}m_w v_p^2$$

with ## v_w = v_p ##
2) I assume its ok to neglect the small change in the fluid center of mass as the plug ascends?

Physics news on Phys.org
erobz said:
1) Is the buoyant force constant? I was thinking conservation of energy, but does the fact that the fluid is accelerating with the plug effect it?
The acceleration of the fluid and of the plug should be equal and constant. The net force on the plug should also be constant. Those conditions are all consistent with one another.
erobz said:
2) I assume its ok to neglect the small change in the fluid center of mass as the plug ascends?
One can account for the energy balance either by considering the work done by the buoyant force on the plug or by considering the potential energy of the system. Both account for both plug and fluid. Accordingly, both should yield an identical result.

One way to attack the problem is an approach based on momentum. You have a mass of fluid and a mass of plug both accelerating identically under a constant force. This is a simple SUVAT setup:$$a=f/m$$ $$v=at$$Another way is an approach based on energy. You write down an energy balance for potential and kinetic energy with kinetic energy as a function of velocity and potential energy as a function of position.$$KE + PE = C$$ $$\frac{1}{2}m_1v^2 + gm_2s = C$$Here ##m_1## is the total mass of fluid plus plug and ##m_2## is the net mass of the plug after subtracting out buoyancy. ##s## is vertical displacement, of course. Looking at this equation from a different point of view, it is just a work-energy relationship. It is the very familiar work energy relationship that is associated with a mass being accelerated under a constant force.

Likes erobz and Lnewqban
Isn't this similar to a balance with different weights at both ends, naturally seeking a balance state?
You could replace the piston with a few drops of oil or a big bubble of air, I believe.

Likes russ_watters, erobz and jbriggs444
My concern was for the acceleration of the fluid effecting the buoyant force. For instance a submerged buoyant body looses its buoyancy when the fluid it's inside experiences freefall?

erobz said:
My concern was for the acceleration of the fluid effecting the buoyant force. For instance a submerged buoyant body looses its buoyancy when the fluid it's inside experiences freefall?
Without calculation, I am going to trust my intuition on this one. The force on the plug is reduced by the acceleration. But this has no effect on the calculated result. In particular, you get the correct computed acceleration by dividing the "unaccelerated" buoyant force by the total mass of plug plus fluid even though that is not the actual net buoyant force applied on the accelerating plug.

How could the actual buoyant force on the accelerating plug be anything remotely close to the net force accelerating the fluid plus plug?! The net force (buoyancy minus gravity) on the plug has to be enough to accelerate the plug alone. It would not be anywhere near the right figure to account for the motion of plug plus fluid.

Likes Lnewqban
erobz said:
What is the velocity of the buoyant plug?
I'm confused, what is this "plug?" At first I thought you meant a small control mass of the fluid, but it seems you're considering an actual solid plug? That slides axially along the pipe?

Sorry if I'm being dense. It happens.

gmax137 said:
I'm confused, what is this "plug?" At first I thought you meant a small control mass of the fluid, but it seems you're considering an actual solid plug? That slides axially along the pipe?

Sorry if I'm being dense. It happens.
I'm thinking about a solid plug of some low-density material as a first go. It slides up the tube, circulating the water in the loop.

jbriggs444 said:
Without calculation, I am going to trust my intuition on this one. The force on the plug is reduced by the acceleration. But this has no effect on the calculated result. In particular, you get the correct computed acceleration by dividing the "unaccelerated" buoyant force by the total mass of plug plus fluid even though that is not the actual net buoyant force applied on the accelerating plug.

How could the actual buoyant force on the accelerating plug be anything remotely close to the net force accelerating the fluid plus plug?! The net force (buoyancy minus gravity) on the plug has to be enough to accelerate the plug alone. It would not be anywhere near the right figure to account for the motion of plug plus fluid.
I'm thinking it could be a small correction, if any.... If the fluid is static, it has the hydrostatic pressure gradient across the plugs height. I was just curious how that changes given the fluid (the plug is in) is accelerating upwards. I'm not saying your intuition is wrong, I just wan't to understand if there is potential adjustment.

Last edited:
erobz said:
I'm thinking it could be a small correction, if any.... If the fluid is static, it has the hydrostatic pressure gradient across the plugs height. I was just curious how that changes given the fluid the plug is in is accelerating upwards. I'm not saying your intuition is wrong, I just wan't to understand if there is potential adjustment.
The pressure field in the accelerating fluid is not the same as one would expect for a simple vertical column of accelerating fluid. It is a [nearly] closed loop. The pressure gradient around the closed loop has to add to zero.

We know how much potential energy it takes to change the position of the fluid+plug system by a certain displacement. That tells us the "force" that is causing the circulation. We know the mass of the fluid+plug system. That's it -- the calculation is essentially done at that point.

The intuitive part is that the "force" calculated for this is identical to the buoyant force on a stationary plug in a bath of the fluid at equilibrium.

Likes Lnewqban and erobz

What is the "Velocity of Buoyant Plug in Closed Loop"?

The "Velocity of Buoyant Plug in Closed Loop" refers to the speed at which a buoyant plug moves in a closed loop system, such as a pipe or tube. It is affected by factors such as the density of the fluid, the size and shape of the plug, and the pressure within the system.

Why is the velocity of a buoyant plug in a closed loop important to study?

Studying the velocity of a buoyant plug in a closed loop can help us understand the behavior of fluids and how they move in closed systems. This information is crucial in various industries, such as oil and gas, where closed loop systems are commonly used.

How is the velocity of a buoyant plug in a closed loop calculated?

The velocity of a buoyant plug in a closed loop can be calculated using the equation V = (ρgV)/(ρf - ρp), where V is the velocity, ρg is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the plug, ρf is the density of the fluid outside the plug, and ρp is the density of the plug.

What factors can affect the velocity of a buoyant plug in a closed loop?

The velocity of a buoyant plug in a closed loop can be affected by several factors, such as the density and viscosity of the fluid, the size and shape of the plug, the pressure within the system, and any obstructions or changes in the flow of the fluid.

What are some applications of studying the velocity of a buoyant plug in a closed loop?

Studying the velocity of a buoyant plug in a closed loop has various applications, including designing and optimizing closed loop systems, predicting and preventing blockages or clogs, and understanding the behavior of fluids in different environments. It is also useful in industries such as chemical engineering, petroleum engineering, and environmental engineering.