1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity of wave

1. Nov 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A certain music instrument consists of a stick of wood placed horizontally and a resonance "tube" (see attached picture, which is from the original assignment-paper) placed vertically under the stick of wood. When the wood-stick is hit, is creates a standing wave, which is amplified in the resonance "tube". The resonance "tube" is half-open (closed in botton, open in top). The music instrument is seen below:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=21869&stc=1&d=1258425457.jpg

I have to calculate the velocity of the transverse wave v_stick in the wood stick.
    Information I am given:
    Velocity of sound: v_sound=343 m/s

The resonance tube is four times as long as the stick of wood (the distance between the triangles on the picture)

2. Relevant equations
    For a string with a standing wave we have that:
    [itex]L=n*\frac{\lambda}{2}[/itex]

For a half-open resonance "tube" we have that:
    [itex]L=(2n-1)\frac{\lambda}{4}[/itex]

L is the length of the string (wood stick) or the air "pillar" in which the standing wave exists, n is the number of the partial-tone and lambda is the wave length.

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]4L_{stick}=L_{tube}[/itex]

I'm unsure of what i know of the wave in the resonance tube, but if I can say that the standing wave in the wood stick has n=1 and the one in the resonance tube has n=8 (see the attached picture), I get:

[itex]4\frac{lambda_{stick}}{2}=\frac{15\lambda_{tube}}{4} \Leftrightarrow 2\lambda_{stick}=\frac{15}{4}\lambda_{tube}[/itex]

I know I can insert the wave eqaution v=lambda*frequency, but what I have just seems so wrong and I have thought very long time about it. I hope you are willing to help me. I'm so stuck.

Best regards.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Wow, the two n's make it complicated - many different solutions depending on their values, I think.

I would have begun with the fact that the
    frequency on wood = frequency in tube
    and put in the conversion to wavelength on each side and then convert the wavelength to L's using those two formulas. I get an expression for the velocity that is (2n-1)*343/8m where n is the air tone number and m the wood tone number. This may be the same as you have. I don't know how you will choose m and n.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook