Velocity Physics Problem: Time & Distance for Vertically Thrown Balls

Can you use it? What's the initial time? What's the initial position? What's the acceleration? What's the time? Plug in and solve for the position.
Leo34005

Homework Statement

Two students are on a balcony 23.4 m above the street. One student throws a ball, b1, vertically downward at 15.5 m/s. At the same instant, the other student throws a ball, b2, vertically upward at the same speed. The second ball just misses the balcony on the way down.

(a) What is the difference in time the balls spend in the air?

(b) What is the velocity of each ball as it strikes the ground?
velocity for b1
velocity for b2

(c) How far apart are the balls 0.480 s after they are thrown?

Homework Equations

s = ut + 1/2at
Not to sure

The Attempt at a Solution

I am considering g = 9.8m/s / sec^2.

Motion of the first ball:

=>23.4 = (15.5)t + 10(t^2)/2
=>23.4 = 15.5 t + 5(t^2)
=>(t^2) + 3.1t - 4.68 = 0
=> t = (-3.1 + 5.3) / 2 = 0.6 sec

Motion of the second ball

=>23.4 = - (15.5)t + 10(t^2)/2
=>23.4 = -(15.5 t) + 5(t^2)
=>(t^2) - 3.1t - 4.68 = 0
=> t = (3.1 + 5.3) / 2 = 4.2 sec

Difference in time = 3.6 sec

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

If you need help with your homework, ask. If have 20 dollars to spend (I hope they are not Zimbabwe dollars), make a donation to PF.

Leo34005 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I am considering g = 9.8m/s / sec^2.

Motion of the first ball:

=>23.4 = 15.5 t + 5(t^2)
The equation you want is:
[tex]
x = x_0 + v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2
[/tex]
Note the the acceleration here is -g = - 9.8 m/s^2.

What's the initial position, x0? The final position?

I got the first answer

Leo34005 said:
Use the same equation given above.

Can u fill it in for me at least? Please

One thing to remember is that the two parts of a free-fall trajectory (going up and going down) are symmetrical. If something goes up at 23 m/s, it'll come down at the same speed; if it takes 4 s to reach its maximum point, it takes 4 s to fall down from its maximum point; if it's thrown at 30 degrees to the horizontal, it'll come down at 30 degrees to the horizontal. This is assuming that the ball lands at the same height it was thrown. Knowing this, part (b) is half-answered: the velocity of b2 is 15.5 m/s down, the same speed it was thrown at.

Now, for part a, this is correct:

=>23.4 = 15.5 t + 5(t^2)

but the second part of your solution isn't because displacement is zero; the ball ends up where it starts. You'll get the right answer if you use d=0, but an easier way is to use only the ball's speed and g. Do you know how?

For part b: think about what acceleration due to gravity means.
Part c: don't you know how to calculate the position of the balls after a certain amount of time has passed? You've already used the right formula two times.

I don't know what's the velocity for b1 and b2

Leo34005 said:
Can u fill it in for me at least? Please
You fill it in. What don't you understand? You have x0, v0, a, and t for each throw. Plug in and solve for the position x.

ideasrule said:
One thing to remember is that the two parts of a free-fall trajectory (going up and going down) are symmetrical. If something goes up at 23 m/s, it'll come down at the same speed; if it takes 4 s to reach its maximum point, it takes 4 s to fall down from its maximum point; if it's thrown at 30 degrees to the horizontal, it'll come down at 30 degrees to the horizontal. This is assuming that the ball lands at the same height it was thrown. Knowing this, part (b) is half-answered: the velocity of b2 is 15.5 m/s down, the same speed it was thrown at.

Now, for part a, this is correct:

=>23.4 = 15.5 t + 5(t^2)

but the second part of your solution isn't because displacement is zero; the ball ends up where it starts. You'll get the right answer if you use d=0, but an easier way is to use only the ball's speed and g. Do you know how?

For part b: think about what acceleration due to gravity means.
Part c: don't you know how to calculate the position of the balls after a certain amount of time has passed? You've already used the right formula two times.

What does acceleration due to gravity mean? the same thing?
part c, i dont

Where do 0.480 s go?

Leo34005 said:
Where do 0.480 s go?
That's the time.

Im freaking out guys, i can't afford it to get it wrong, 1 more wrong answer and I am not able to post any more answers,

Can u atleast fill it in for b and c and ill do the work

I've pretty much given you all the formulas already. Acceleration due to gravity is what "g" represents; it's the amount that gravity speeds up a falling object per second. It's 9.8 m/s^2, so in one second, 9.8 m/s is added, in 2 seconds, 9.8*2 is added, and in t seconds, gt is added. Consider an object's initial speed and you get the equation v=vo+gt.

So you know how long the balls spent in the air (from part a), and you know the balls' initial speed. You can solve for v in v=vo+gt.

For part c, the formula I'm talking about is s = ut + 1/2at. "s" represents displacement.

Give me the answers for

velocity for b1 m/s
velocity for b2 m/s

And ill work my way the hard way until i get the answer

is 2.832 the correct answer for c?

Can u give me and fill in the formula for b

Leo34005 said:
is 2.832 the correct answer for c?

Can u give me and fill in the formula for b

Nope. Also, I already gave you the formula for b.

Can i see the answer for both b and c please, my time is almost over, i have a certain amount of time i need to be finished with

1. What is the formula for calculating velocity in a vertically thrown ball?

The formula for calculating velocity in a vertically thrown ball is v = gt, where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time in seconds.

2. How does distance affect the velocity of a vertically thrown ball?

Distance does not have a direct effect on the velocity of a vertically thrown ball. However, the initial height from which the ball is thrown can impact the time it takes for the ball to reach the ground, and therefore affect the velocity.

3. Can the velocity of a vertically thrown ball change during its flight?

Yes, the velocity of a vertically thrown ball can change during its flight due to external factors such as air resistance, wind, or changes in gravity.

4. How does the mass of the ball impact its velocity in a vertically thrown ball problem?

The mass of the ball does not have a significant impact on its velocity in a vertically thrown ball problem. The mass may affect the force of gravity acting on the ball, but this is a negligible factor in most situations.

5. Is there a maximum velocity that a vertically thrown ball can reach?

Yes, there is a maximum velocity that a vertically thrown ball can reach, known as the terminal velocity. This is the point at which the force of air resistance equals the force of gravity, resulting in a constant velocity. However, the terminal velocity for a ball is usually only reached in situations with significant air resistance, such as in a vacuum or with a very lightweight ball.