1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity, position and time

1. Sep 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle moving along an x-axis with constant velocity is at the point x=1 when t=2 and is at the point x=5 when t=4. Find the velocity of the particle if x is in meters and t is in seconds. Find an equation that expresses x as a function of t.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got the first part. (4-2)/(5-1) = 0.5m/s. Now, how do I get the equation that expresses x as a function of t?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2009 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You got the first part by assuming that the object covers equal distances in equal times. Can you write an equation that expresses that?

** Edit **

Actually you did not get the first part. You divided time interval by displacement.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  4. Sep 9, 2009 #3
    Oh, so would the velocity be 2?
    Ok, so x=2t+?
    So, it is 2t-3.
    Right?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  5. Sep 9, 2009 #4

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, x is directly proportional to time, the constant of proportionality being the velocity. To find the velocity, you need to do part (a) correctly. The y intercept in this case is the position of the particle at time t = 0.

6. Sep 9, 2009 #5
    So when time = 0, the particle is at coordinate x=-3.

7. Sep 9, 2009 #6

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You got it.

8. Sep 9, 2009 #7
    Thanks for notifying me of my mistake!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook