Velocity problem did i do it right?

• Thread starter BeckyStar678
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, when a cart is pushed along a straight horizontal track, its velocity can either increase or decrease depending on the direction of the change in velocity. If the change is in the same direction as the original velocity, the cart will speed up and the acceleration will be positive. If the change is in the opposite direction, the cart will slow down and the acceleration will be negative. This is determined by the direction of the change in velocities, not necessarily the signs of the velocities themselves.
BeckyStar678

Homework Statement

a cart is pushed along a straight horizontal track
a.) in a certain section of its motion, its original velocity is +3 m/s and it undergoes a change in velocity of +4 m/s. does it speed up or slow down in this section of motion? is its acceleration positive or negative?

b.) in a certain section of its motion, its original velocity is -3 m/s and it undergoes a change in velocity of +4 m/s. does it speed up or slow down in this section of motion? is its acceleration positive or negative?

c.)in a certain section of its motion, its original velocity is +3 m/s and it undergoes a change in velocity of -4 m/s. does it speed up or slow down in this section of motion? is its acceleration positive or negative?

d.) in a certain section of its motion, its original velocity is -3 m/s and it undergoes a change in velocity of -4 m/s. does it speed up or slow down in this section of motion? is its acceleration positive or negative?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a.) it increases and acceleration is +
b.) it decreases and acceleration -
c.) it decreases and acceleration is -
d.) it increases and acceleration is +

Physics news on Phys.org
BeckyStar678 said:

Homework Statement

a cart is pushed along a straight horizontal track
a.) in a certain section of its motion, its original velocity is +3 m/s and it undergoes a change in velocity of +4 m/s. does it speed up or slow down in this section of motion? is its acceleration positive or negative?

b.) in a certain section of its motion, its original velocity is -3 m/s and it undergoes a change in velocity of +4 m/s. does it speed up or slow down in this section of motion? is its acceleration positive or negative?

c.)in a certain section of its motion, its original velocity is +3 m/s and it undergoes a change in velocity of -4 m/s. does it speed up or slow down in this section of motion? is its acceleration positive or negative?

d.) in a certain section of its motion, its original velocity is -3 m/s and it undergoes a change in velocity of -4 m/s. does it speed up or slow down in this section of motion? is its acceleration positive or negative?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

b.) it decreases and acceleration -
d.) it increases and acceleration is +

Put the velocities out on a number line. Negative to positive, left to right.

Any change when you go from initial to final that is left to right is positive change. To the right is negative change.

Look at your problem again.

LowlyPion said:
Put the velocities out on a number line. Negative to positive, left to right.

Any change when you go from initial to final that is left to right is positive change. To the right is negative change.

Look at your problem again.

okay, so by looking at it again i got
b.) it increases and acceleration -
d.) it decreases and acceleration is +

i changed the accelerations because isn't it that when the signs are the same, that means that acceleration is + and when the signs are different the acc. is -?

BeckyStar678 said:
okay, so by looking at it again i got
b.) it increases and acceleration -
d.) it decreases and acceleration is +

i changed the accelerations because isn't it that when the signs are the same, that means that acceleration is + and when the signs are different the acc. is -?

It's the direction of the change in velocities. If velocity decreases, then acceleration is in the "decreasing" direction - i.e."-" - whether or not the signs of velocity are positive or negative. It's whether the differences are + or -.

Like housing values are determined by Location. Location. Location.
Here it's Direction. Direction. Direction.

1. What is a velocity problem?

A velocity problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the speed and direction of an object's motion. It typically involves using the equation v = d/t, where v represents velocity, d represents distance, and t represents time.

2. How do I know if I solved a velocity problem correctly?

To ensure you have solved a velocity problem correctly, compare your answer to the given values and units. Make sure your answer has the correct units and is within a reasonable range. You can also double-check your calculations to make sure they are accurate.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving velocity problems?

Some common mistakes when solving velocity problems include using the wrong formula, not converting units correctly, and making calculation errors. It's important to carefully read the problem and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.

4. Are there any tips for solving velocity problems?

Yes, here are a few tips for solving velocity problems: 1) Clearly define the given values and what you are trying to solve for. 2) Check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem. 3) Draw a diagram or use a graph to visualize the problem. 4) Use the appropriate formula and plug in the given values. 5) Double-check your calculations and final answer.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving velocity problems?

Practice is key to improving your skills in solving velocity problems. Work through various practice problems and try to identify any areas where you may struggle. You can also review the concepts and formulas regularly to keep them fresh in your mind. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or classmate can also be beneficial.