Velocity of Pole Vaulter: Solving for 10.95 m/s

• Thread starter whiteruskii
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the velocity of a pole vaulter when they hit the ground after going 6 meters in the air with no air resistance and a gravity of 9.8m/s^2. The participants suggest using the equation mgh=1/2mv^2 and the kinematic equation v^2 = 2gh to solve for the velocity. Attendees also discuss alternative methods such as using energy and kinematic equations for distance. They also mention the importance of considering units for the velocity. The conversation ends with a question about whether the participants are classmates.
whiteruskii

Homework Statement

A pole vaulter goes 6m in the air. What is the velocity when he hits the ground?

No air resistance, just g=9.8m/s^2

Homework Equations

mgh = 1/2mv^2

Does an answer of 10.95 seem right? (I used 10m/s/s for gravity)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, then you need another approach, maybe attending class more regularly?

I'm not being snide but for the life of me cannot think of any other method.

The one option which might not be considered strictly as kinematics is by using energy: the potential and kinetic energies under these conditions will be constant. So develop an eqn that uses both. But given the data, this is the only approach.

Last edited:
denverdoc said:
Well, then you need another approach, maybe attending class more regularly?

I'm not being snide but for the life of me cannot think of any other method.

The one option which might not be considered strictly as kinematics is by using energy: the potential and kinetic energies under these conditions will be constant. So develop an eqn that uses both. But given the data, this is the only approach.

Attending class would be wonderful...last week was beyond my control

anyways, not to go off on a tangent, using mgh=1/2mv^2, I canceled out mass, since it's just a multiplier to both, and got an answer of approximately 10.95. Does that seem about right?

whiteruskii said:
Attending class would be wonderful...last week was beyond my control

anyways, not to go off on a tangent, using mgh=1/2mv^2, I canceled out mass, since it's just a multiplier to both, and got an answer of approximately 10.95. Does that seem about right?
If you use an alternate approach (and yes, there is one) using the basic kinematic equation of motion
[tex]v^2 = 2gh[/tex], you arrive at the same result (same equation), even without a knowledge of energy methods. Don't forget the units for the velocity: m/s

Yes that sounds about right. BTW, the other method would be to use the kinematic equation for distance, with the initial velocity = 0, and figure out how long it takes to travel the 6m distance in free-fall, then use that time in the velocity kinematic equation to figure out the person's velocity at that time. But your energy approach is better, because it's all contained in one easy equation.

BTW, are you guys classmates? Sounds like you have a conversation going on behind the scenes...

Doh! PhantomJay beat me to the punch.

1. How is the velocity of a pole vaulter calculated?

The velocity of a pole vaulter is calculated by dividing the distance they traveled over a certain interval by the time it took them to travel that distance. In this case, the distance is 10.95 meters and the time is not specified.

2. What does a velocity of 10.95 m/s mean for a pole vaulter?

A velocity of 10.95 m/s means that the pole vaulter is traveling at a speed of 10.95 meters per second. This is a relatively fast velocity and indicates that the pole vaulter is moving quickly towards the bar.

3. How is the velocity of a pole vaulter affected by their approach?

The velocity of a pole vaulter is affected by their approach in two ways: the length of the approach and the speed at which they run during the approach. A longer approach allows for a higher velocity, while a faster run during the approach also increases velocity.

4. Is a velocity of 10.95 m/s common for pole vaulters?

A velocity of 10.95 m/s is a relatively common velocity for pole vaulters, especially at the elite level. However, velocities can vary depending on the individual's technique and physical abilities.

5. How does the velocity of a pole vaulter affect their jump?

The velocity of a pole vaulter is a crucial factor in their jump. A higher velocity allows the vaulter to generate more momentum and energy, which can help them clear the bar at a higher height. It also affects the angle at which they approach the bar, which can impact the success of the jump.