Velocity Problem: Find Avg. Velocity for t=2

• Thread starter xviddivxoggmp3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary: For (a) you are finding the average velocity from t=2 to t=5, which is the slope of the line connecting (2,32) and (5,178). For (b) and (c), you are finding the average velocities from t=2 to t=4 and t=2 to t=3, respectively, which are the slopes of the lines connecting (2,32) and (4,119) and (2,32) and (3,70). The equations for these lines can be found using the slope formula: m = (y2-y1)/(x2-x1), where (x1,y1) and (x2,y2) are the coordinates of the given points.
xviddivxoggmp3

Homework Statement

The position of a car is given by the values below.

Seconds | Feet
1 | 10
2 | 32
3 | 70
4 | 119
5 | 178

Find the average velocity for the time period beginning when t=2 and lasting
(a) 3 seconds
(b) 2 seconds
(c) 1 second

Homework Equations

There were no equations provided

The Attempt at a Solution

:confused:
i usually have an equation to go by, but i do not in this case.
all attempts to make an equation out of the data have failed.
i think it is an exponential curve, but i can find the exact formula.
if anyone could stear me in the direction so i can figure this problem out.
i want to know what I'm doing, so do not give me the answer but please someone point me in some productive direction.

would i just input the numbers in the slope equation?
M=
y-y1
----
x-x1
i have the x and y already.
that seems too easy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
xviddivxoggmp3, you are completely right- it is that easy. Shrodinger's dog is also correct but might be a bit confusing here. His point is that this problem is leading you to the idea of a "limit" and then the velocity at a single time.

HallsofIvy said:
xviddivxoggmp3, you are completely right- it is that easy. Shrodinger's dog is also correct but might be a bit confusing here. His point is that this problem is leading you to the idea of a "limit" and then the velocity at a single time.

Yeah I edited, I kind of misread it, but then I reread his question and saw how simple what he was asking was.:smile:

Here's a graph I did,I had a bit of time and wanted a bit of practice.

Graph of:-

Seconds | Feet
1 | 10
2 | 32
3 | 70
4 | 119
5 | 178

Graph.JPG

Essentially the question is asking you to find an exact point on the graph.

Last edited:

What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. It is a vector quantity that takes into account both the speed and direction of an object.

How is average velocity calculated?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the change in displacement of an object by the change in time. In other words, it is the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken.

What does a velocity of t=2 mean?

A velocity of t=2 means that the average velocity is being calculated for a specific time interval of t=2. This could represent 2 seconds, 2 minutes, or any other unit of time depending on the situation.

Why is average velocity important in science?

Average velocity is important in science because it allows us to understand the movement of objects and how they change over time. It is a crucial concept in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and biology.

What factors can affect average velocity?

The factors that can affect average velocity include changes in speed, changes in direction, and any external forces acting on the object. For example, if an object is accelerating or decelerating, its average velocity will be affected.