Solve Velocity Problem: Drone Drops Bomb from 3500 ft

• Thread starter fandomgeek_394
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the problem involves a drone dropping a bomb from a height of 3500 ft. The bomb travels 875 feet horizontally while it drops. The relevant equation to use is Δx=vot+½at^2, and projectile motion must be taken into account for both vertical and horizontal components.
fandomgeek_394

Homework Statement

A drone drops a bomb from a height of 3500 ft. The bomb travels 875 feet horizontally while it drops. What is the velocity of the drone and the bomb at the time of the drop? Direction is 0 degrees.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

*sigh* I'm afraid I don't have any work to submit with this one; I just can't seem to figure out how to work this problem... I've re-read it multiple times, and I'm uncertain how to go about doing it. I've looked at a similar type of problem, though the data included speed; this, I'm unsure how to work.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should at least be able to write down some relevant equations. What type of motions are involved?

I'm thinking the equation to use may be Δx=vot+½at^2

fandomgeek_394 said:
I'm thinking the equation to use may be Δx=vot+½at^2
Sure, that's a start.

You have both vertical and horizontal motion involved. Apply your knowledge of projectile motion and use that equation appropriately for both.

1. How do you determine the velocity of a drone dropping a bomb from 3500 ft?

The velocity of the drone dropping a bomb from 3500 ft can be determined by using the equation v = √(2gh), where v is velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height of the drop (3500 ft converted to meters).

2. What factors affect the velocity of a drone dropping a bomb?

The velocity of a drone dropping a bomb can be affected by several factors, including the weight and size of the bomb, the aerodynamics of the drone, air resistance, and wind speed and direction.

3. Can the velocity of a drone dropping a bomb be calculated in different units?

Yes, the velocity can be calculated in different units depending on the given data. However, it is important to ensure that all units are consistent in the calculation.

4. How can the velocity of a drone dropping a bomb be used in real-life situations?

The velocity of a drone dropping a bomb can be used in military operations, disaster relief efforts, and other situations where precise targeting is necessary. It can also be used to study the effects of aerial bombardment on structures and the environment.

5. Is there a maximum velocity that a drone can drop a bomb from 3500 ft?

Yes, there is a maximum velocity that a drone can drop a bomb from 3500 ft. This is because air resistance and the weight of the bomb will eventually limit the speed at which the bomb can fall. The maximum velocity can be calculated using the same equation v = √(2gh).