Solve Velocity Problems: Homework Statement & Equations

• Thread starter Jath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary: For part B:Break it down, 3 hrs at 80 km/hr = 240 km3 hrs at 50 km/hr = 300 km1 hr at 20 km/hr = 20 km/hrTotal hrs = 6 hrsSo the train covered 360 km in 6 hrs.For part C:The average velocity for the final 3.9 hours of the trip is 103.4 km/hr N.
Jath

Homework Statement

An auto travels at the rate of 25 km/hr North for 4 hours, then at 50 km/hr North for 8 hours, and finally 20 km/hr North for 2 hours. Find (a) the total distance covered in km and (b) the average velocity for the complete trip in m/s.

Homework Equations

d=vt

The Attempt at a Solution

>
v1= 25 km/hr N
t = 4 hrs
>
d=vt
d1=(25km/hrN)(...)
If someone can just work through this and tell me what things mean and why that would be great.

4. Answer from Teacher
540 km; 107(or 10.7) m/s N

Homework Statement

A train travels at an average velocity of 120 km/h for 3 hours, then at 80 km/h for 210 km. The train stop for 1 hour. Finally, the train covers 300 km in 2.9 hours. All motion is to the NORTH. (a) What is the train's displacement at the end of the first 3 hours? (b) How much time was spent going 80 km/h in the second leg of the trip? (c) What was the average velocity for the final 3.9 hours of the trip? (d) Calculate the average velocity for the whole trip. (e) Calculate the average velocity if the second part of the trip (80 km/h for 210 km) were to the SOUTH.

Homework Equations

d=vt

Honestly, with this question I have no clue what to do. Same as above, if someone can help me go through this that would be great.

4. Answer from Teacher
360 km N; 2.6 hr; 103.4 km/hr N; 91.6 km/hr W; 47.4 km/hr N

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jath said:

Homework Statement

An auto travels at the rate of 25 km/hr North for 4 hours, then at 50 km/hr North for 8 hours, and finally 20 km/hr North for 2 hours. Find (a) the total distance covered in km and (b) the average velocity for the complete trip in m/s.

Homework Equations

d=vt

>
v1= 25 km/hr N
t = 4 hrs
>
d=vt
d1=(25km/hrN)(...)
If someone can just work through this and tell me what things mean and why that would be great.4. Answer from Teacher
540 km; 107(or 10.7) m/s N

For part A:

Break it down,

25 km/hr North for 4 hours = 100km for 4 hours
50 km/hr North for 8 hours = 400km for 8 hours
20 km/hr North for 2 hours = 40km for 2 hours

Total km = 540km

Do you understand what I did there?

I do but my teacher wants me to do it in equations, like how I wrote in the attempt at solution, v1 = ... , t = ... and etc. When I do this I get confused of what to multiply by and etc. Also with directions, like E, N and etc, do these change the problems drastically or very little? How too.

1. What are the basic equations used to solve velocity problems?

The basic equations used to solve velocity problems are distance = rate x time (d = rt), average velocity = total distance / total time (v = d/t), and acceleration = change in velocity / change in time (a = Δv / Δt).

2. How do I identify the variables in a velocity problem?

The variables in a velocity problem are distance (d), rate or speed (r), time (t), and acceleration (a). It is important to identify these variables in order to correctly set up and solve the problem.

3. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement over a period of time, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific moment in time. Average velocity can be calculated using the total distance and total time, while instantaneous velocity requires the use of calculus to find the derivative of the position function.

4. How do I use the given information to solve a velocity problem?

To solve a velocity problem, you need to first identify the given information, such as the distance, time, or acceleration. Then, use the appropriate equation to find the missing variable. It is important to pay attention to the units of the given information and ensure that they are consistent throughout the problem.

5. Can I use the same equations to solve problems with both constant and changing velocities?

Yes, the same equations can be used to solve problems with both constant and changing velocities. However, for problems with changing velocities, you may need to use the average velocity equation to find the total distance or total time before using the other equations.