1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity problems

1. May 14, 2012 #1
    Spaceship initially at rest as measured,experiences constant acceleration of a=(1,2,3)m/s^2?

what is the velocity,after 5 seconds,
    and speed after 5 seconds
    and position after 5 secs
    what is the distance it has travelled in 5secs

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2012 #2
    What kinematics equations do you know that might apply to this problem? There is one that involves only velocity, acceleration and time which is useful for the first part.

Then there is also an equation involving position position, velocity, acceleration, and time which helps you solve the third part.

Finally, think about how speed and velocity are related; and how distance and position are related.

4. May 14, 2012 #3
    for the first one i used v=at
    i got (5,10,15)m/s
    the third part i used d=1/2at^2
    im not sure how to find the distance travelled in 5 seconds

5. May 14, 2012 #4
    Ok, good you used the right equations and got the velocity and position vectors. Now, how is speed and distance related to velocity and position vectors? Think about whether speed and distance are vectors or scalars.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook