1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity profile between parallel plates with velocity dependent force

1. May 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a channel of height H (y-direction) with three different layers. A bottom layer of height L where only viscous forces play a role and the lower boundary is a stationary plate, a middle layer of height L (so from L to 2L) where a force F depending linearly on the fluid velocity (F=A+B u) works in the positive x-direction, and a top layer of height H-2L (so from 2L to H) where again only viscous forces act and the upper boundary is stationary. I can assume to have laminar flow without pressure gradient

Question: calculate the flow profile ux(y) and the flow rate Q

2. Relevant equations
    The equation of motion for laminar flow only dependent on the y-direction:
    [tex]0=\mu \frac{\partial^2 ux_i}{\partial y^2}+\frac{\partial P}{\partial x}+F_i[/tex]

where subscript i denotes the layer (bottom, middle or top) and thus Fb and Ft are 0 and the pressure gradient term is always zero (and can be left out)

with boundary conditions:
    [tex] ux_b(0)=0[/tex]
    [tex] ux_t(H)=0[/tex]
    [tex] ux_b(L)=ux_m(L)[/tex]
    [tex] ux_t(2L)=ux_m(2L)[/tex]
    [tex] \frac{\partial ux_b}{\partial y}(L)=\frac{\partial ux_m}{\partial y}(L)[/tex]
    [tex] \frac{\partial ux_t}{\partial y}(2L)=\frac{\partial ux_m}{\partial y}(2L)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Unfortunately, I have not gotten to this part yet, because I think my equation of motion is incorrect since the units of my force term are Newton while the other terms are in Newton per cubic metre.

I have tried using [tex]\frac{F}{W_{channel} H_{channel} L_{channel}}[/tex] but then my solution contains the width of the channel in such a way that I have to know the numerical value of W to solve the flow rate, and I don't have that value.

Can anyone give me a hint on the way to approach this problem?!

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?