Car Passes Bus: Velocity Ques. Answered in 5 Secs

• Thread starter 1irishman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, The car, with a length of 4m, and the bus, with a length of 12m, are traveling in the same direction 20m apart. The car's velocity is 10m/s and the bus's velocity is 20m/s. The car then accelerates at a rate of 5m/s^2 for 5 seconds before returning to its original velocity. It takes the car 6.6 seconds to completely pass the bus.
1irishman
1. Homework Statement
A car of length 4m and a bus of length 12m are traveling in the same direction 20m apart. The cars current velocity is 10m/s and the buses current velocity is 20m/s, the car suddenly starts to accelerate at 5m/s^2 and stops accelerating after 5 seconds. How long does it take the car to completely pass the bus?2. Homework Equations
d=Vit + 1/2at^2
i'm not sure about other ones that can be used here...3. The Attempt at a Solution
i figured (not sure if it's right though) the bus travels 100m in 5s and the car travels 112.5m in the same amount of time. So the original distance of 20m between the car and the bus has lessened to 20m - 12.5m = 7.5m. So the distance between the bus and the car is now 7.5m. Not sure how to proceed from here...hints? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the velocity of the car after 5 seconds?
Problem says that the car and bus are 20 m part. But it is not clear form which point to which point

The velocity of the car after 5 seconds is 10m/s (back to its original velocity).

1irishman said:
The velocity of the car after 5 seconds is 10m/s (back to its original velocity).
This is not correct. Use
v = vo + at

are my distances wrong then?

1irishman said:
are my distances wrong then?
They are correct.

Okay i have:
if vi of car=10m/s
a=5m/s^2
t=5s
then vf=35m/s
Is that right so far? thanks.

1irishman said:
Okay i have:
if vi of car=10m/s
a=5m/s^2
t=5s
then vf=35m/s
Is that right so far? thanks.
Yes. It is correct.

okay...i think I've solved it:
since cars new constant speed is 35m/s and distance is 23.5m.
The relative speed to the bus should be 15m/s.
So, v=15m/s
d=23.5m
then t=1.6s
So, it should take the car 6.6s to pass the bus right?

1irishman said:
okay...i think I've solved it:
since cars new constant speed is 35m/s and distance is 23.5m.
The relative speed to the bus should be 15m/s.
So, v=15m/s
d=23.5m
then t=1.6s?
So, it should take the car 6.6s to pass the bus right?
v = d/t.
Then t = ?

1.6s plus 5s

1. How can a car pass a bus with a lower velocity in just 5 seconds?

This can happen if the car has a higher acceleration than the bus. Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. So, if the car is able to accelerate quickly, it can overtake the bus in a short amount of time.

2. What factors affect the velocity of a car and a bus?

The velocity of a car and a bus can be affected by various factors, such as the engine power, weight of the vehicle, air resistance, road conditions, and the driver's skill. These factors can impact the acceleration and maximum speed of the vehicles.

3. Is it safe for a car to pass a bus in just 5 seconds?

It depends on the situation and the speed at which the car is passing the bus. If the car is able to safely overtake the bus without violating any traffic laws or putting anyone in danger, then it can be considered safe.

4. Can a car with a lower velocity ever pass a bus with a higher velocity?

Yes, it is possible for a car with a lower velocity to pass a bus with a higher velocity. This can happen if the car has a higher acceleration or if the bus is slowing down due to traffic or other factors.

5. How does the concept of relative velocity apply to a car passing a bus?

Relative velocity refers to the velocity of one object in relation to another. In the context of a car passing a bus, the relative velocity would be the velocity of the car relative to the bus. This velocity can change depending on the acceleration and speed of both vehicles.