• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Velocity Question

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
My question is... If I have an initial velocity (V0) will the final velocity(Vf) at y = 0 be equal?

I created a diagram if the question is confusing...
If so, why is this true? Because wouldn't final velocity be zero??

Attachments

Answers and Replies

Essentially these types of problems are asking you the velocity at the instant before the object collides with the ground. Hence, unless there are external forces dissipating the objects energy, its final (at the instant before it touches ground) will equal its initial.

I think this is the qoestion on projectile motion. If air resisance is neglected, final velocity is equal to initial velocity. It will never become zero throughout the time of flight. if air resistance is included, final velocity will be less than initial one.

ehild
Homework Helper
My question is... If I have an initial velocity (V0) will the final velocity(Vf) at y = 0 be equal?

I created a diagram if the question is confusing...
If so, why is this true? Because wouldn't final velocity be zero??
The velocities in the picture are not equal, but of equal magnitude, as the directions differ. You can say that the speeds are equal.

If it is a projectile, the horizontal component is constant during the motion as only vertical force -gravity- acts on the object. Energy is conserved, so mgyi+1/2 mvi2=mgyf+1/2 mvf2. If yi=yf the square of the velocities are equal, vi2=vf2. That means equal magnitudes |vi|=|vf|, that is, equal speeds.

ehild