1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity Question

1. Oct 30, 2011 #1
    My question is... If I have an initial velocity (V0) will the final velocity(Vf) at y = 0 be equal?

I created a diagram if the question is confusing...
    If so, why is this true? Because wouldn't final velocity be zero??

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2011 #2
    Essentially these types of problems are asking you the velocity at the instant before the object collides with the ground. Hence, unless there are external forces dissipating the objects energy, its final (at the instant before it touches ground) will equal its initial.

4. Oct 31, 2011 #3
    I think this is the qoestion on projectile motion. If air resisance is neglected, final velocity is equal to initial velocity. It will never become zero throughout the time of flight. if air resistance is included, final velocity will be less than initial one.

5. Oct 31, 2011 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The velocities in the picture are not equal, but of equal magnitude, as the directions differ. You can say that the speeds are equal.

If it is a projectile, the horizontal component is constant during the motion as only vertical force -gravity- acts on the object. Energy is conserved, so mgyi+1/2 mvi2=mgyf+1/2 mvf2. If yi=yf the square of the velocities are equal, vi2=vf2. That means equal magnitudes |vi|=|vf|, that is, equal speeds.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook