1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity Question

1. Apr 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two particles are moving towards each other from 100m apart. The velocity of particle 1 is given by v1=3t−5 and the velocity of the second particle is given by v2=−t+30. At what time (in seconds) do the particles collide?
    2. Relevant equations
    D/S=T

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2015 #2
    anyone?

4. Apr 16, 2015 #3
    Did you make an attempt to solve the problem? Why don't you show it so someone can help guide you to the solution.

5. Apr 16, 2015 #4
    i generally do understand what to do in this situation.

6. Apr 16, 2015 #5
    Okay, then post your work. Are you familiar with basic integration techniques?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  7. Apr 16, 2015 #6
    i basically equalled both equations to 500. then i integrated to find when the displacement equals 500. Then i subbed the time back into v equations. After i added the velocity together ,and divided 500/speed.

8. Apr 16, 2015 #7
    Why 500? The particles are 100 meters apart, right?

9. Apr 16, 2015 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not sure where you are getting 500 from, but my guess is that either it should say 1000m in the OP or in the above you meant 50.
    What makes you think that each will cover half the distance?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted