Velocity Ratio of a 3rd Class Lever

In summary: J goes in, that same amount comes out. the MA is only used to determine how much force the effort needs to apply, not how much work is done.In summary, the problem involves a lever with a load of 1962N located 5m from the effort and 1m from the fulcrum. The velocity ratio is calculated to be 1/6. Trigonometry is not necessary to solve the problem, as the ratio of distances traveled by the load and effort can be used to determine the velocity ratio. The work output can be calculated using the law of conservation of energy, with a work input of 3000J resulting in an equal work output.
aaronh25

Homework Statement

1962N Load 5 m from effort (hydraulic ram) and fulcrum 1m from effort.

Calculate the Velocity ratio, if work input is 3000j calculate work output.

Homework Equations

VR = distance moved by effort / distance moved by load

effort = 11772N

MA = load / effort = 0.17

The Attempt at a Solution

Now i thought this would be 1 / 6 = 0.16 However this doesn't really truly reflect the distances moved by either effort or load. So would it be correct to assume that I need to use trigonometry to work this problem out and give me correct hights etc.

any help would be very much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
why do you think it should be 1/6? you need to just think about the definition of velocity. velocity is just how far the thing goes divided by how long it took to get there (well, that is average velocity, but that's all we need here). you can use trig to solve the problem, but that is the long way around, a little geometry will do the trick.cheers

I don't see how "work input is 3000J" is relevant here. As eczeno says, this really just depends on the geometry.

I used the 1 / 6 because of the assumption that vr = ma in frictionless systems, so i assumed that the 1 being distance from the fulcrum and 6 being the 5m plus the 1. So i take it I am completley barking up the wrong tree here?

In what way would I be able to use geometry to solve this problem, if I am quite honest with you I don't really know where to start.

Your help is much appreciated

so, for velocity, we only need to worry about how far each end of the lever moves when we perform our task, and how long it takes to move that distance. we can ignore all the real physics stuff like force and energy for now. so picture it in your head, the long end of the lever is pulled down and the sort end goes up. the nice thing is we know each of these motions took the same amount of time, so the ratio of the velocities is just the ratio of the distances.

hope this helps

Thank you I think that makes perfect sense to me, so in other words if the short end being 1m and the long end being 5m, we can use these distances to then give us the VR. for example 1/5.

Thats the way I have interpreted your description. Your wise words and patience are very helpful.

The 3000j input relates to a subquestion in this asking what would then be the useful work output

you have interpreted correctly :smile: . though i feel the need to say that the distances traveled will not be 1m and 5m, but due to similar triangles, the ratio will be 1/5, and that is all we care about.

cheers

Thank you eczeno, will i need to convert the ratio into a decimal, and i take it that this will be like a dimensionless result, i.e not a measured unit?

Thanks for your help

i typically leave ratios in rational form, but that is aesthetics more than anything. and yes, ratios are dimensionless.

Thanks again eczeno, i have one more question, how do i calculate the useful energy output of this system if the work input is 3000j, woulkd this question be related to ma?

oops, now that i read the problem more carefully, i see that the MA (and so VR also) is 1/6. i read it as saying the load was 5m from the fulcrum, but it is 5m from the effort, so 6m from the fulcrum. ok, then the load and effort force make sense.

now, as for the work, that's easy, energy is conserved so work in equals work out.

What is the velocity ratio of a 3rd class lever?

The velocity ratio of a 3rd class lever is the ratio between the distance from the fulcrum to the effort and the distance from the fulcrum to the load.

How is the velocity ratio calculated for a 3rd class lever?

The velocity ratio for a 3rd class lever is calculated by dividing the distance from the fulcrum to the effort by the distance from the fulcrum to the load.

What is the ideal velocity ratio for a 3rd class lever?

The ideal velocity ratio for a 3rd class lever is 1, meaning that the effort and load are at equal distances from the fulcrum. However, in reality, the velocity ratio can vary depending on the specific design and use of the lever.

How does the velocity ratio affect the mechanical advantage of a 3rd class lever?

The velocity ratio and mechanical advantage of a 3rd class lever are inversely proportional. This means that as the velocity ratio increases, the mechanical advantage decreases. This is because a higher velocity ratio requires a larger effort to move the load, resulting in a lower mechanical advantage.

What are some real-life examples of 3rd class levers and their velocity ratios?

Some common examples of 3rd class levers include tweezers, shovels, and fishing rods. The velocity ratio for these levers can vary depending on the specific design and use. For example, tweezers may have a velocity ratio close to 1, while a fishing rod may have a higher velocity ratio due to its longer length and flexibility.