1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity, Speed, and Time

1. Feb 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Driving along a crowded freeway, you notice that it takes a time t to go from one mile marker to the next. When you increase your speed by 4.5 mi/h, the time to go one mile decreases by 10 s. What was your original speed?

2. Relevant equations

V=D/T

3. The attempt at a solution

V1T1 = 1 mi
    v2t2= i mile
    v2= v1 + change of V
    t2= t1 - change of t
    I then used equations 3 and 4 to eliminate v2 and t2 in equation 2.
    (v1 + change of V)(t1 - change of t) = 1 mi

I know that i need to get rid of t1 now, and i should probably use the first equation (v1t1 = 1 mi) to do it. I just dont know how to integrate the two of them.
    Thank you in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2013 #2

tms

You have two equations and two unknowns: [itex]v_1[/itex] and [itex]t_1[/itex]. Solve them in the usual way: solve one for one of the unknowns and substitute the result in the other equation.

4. Feb 10, 2013 #3
    That's what i thought i was doing. by putting in v1t1=1mile into (v1 + change in v)(t1-change in t). but would that be (v1 + change in v)(v1 - change in t)? or (v1 + change in v)((1/v1) - change in t)?

5. Feb 10, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The second one (if you add units), as V1T1=1mile is equivalent to T1=1mile/V1.

6. Feb 10, 2013 #5
    Ah ok. so then i just simplify that equation to find v1.
    which would be.. (v12)(Δt) + (ΔvΔt) - (Δv)(1 mi) = 0

so then i do quadratic?

7. Feb 10, 2013 #6

mfb

2016 Award

That is a good idea, indeed. But the units of the last equation are wrong, there is some error in the calculation.

8. Feb 10, 2013 #7
    (Δt)v12 + (Δv)(Δt)v1 - (Δv)(1mi) = 0

fixed???

9. Feb 10, 2013 #8

mfb

2016 Award

Now the units match. I didn't check the equations, but you can check the result yourself afterwards with known v1 and t1.

10. Feb 10, 2013 #9
    i got the right answer.
    thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook