Swing 360: Solve for Velocity of Swingset

• Thread starter Mathg09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the necessary initial velocity for a person to push someone on a swingset in order to make a 360 degree loop. The relevant equations include (mv^2)/r = F - mg, mgh= (mv^2)/2, and v = ω*r. The final answer is determined to be sqrt(5gr), and it is noted that this is the minimum velocity needed at the top of the swing's path. The situation with the swingset differs from that of a ball rotating at a constant speed, as the swing does not have constant velocity.
Mathg09

Homework Statement

Someone is going to push another person sitting on a swingset with the goal to make a whole 360 degree loop. What should the velocity be that the person pushes the swing to make this happen? You can make your own data about the height of the swingset but it's a swingset with chainlinks if that matter.

Homework Equations

(mv^2)/r = F - mg
mgh= (mv^2)/2
v = ω*r

The Attempt at a Solution

mg=m(v^2)/r in the top which gives v = sqrt (gr)
(m(initial v)^2)/2 = m((sqrt gr)^2)/2 + mg2r
Intial velocity should be sqrt 5gr I'm not sure I'm doing it right. would really appreciate some help, thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just carry on with your algebra. So far you've got (clearing out the common m's):

[tex] \frac{v_o^2}{2} = \frac{(\sqrt{g r})^2}{2} + 2gr [/tex]

Ok thanks, then it gives intial velocity should be = [tex]\sqrt{5gr}[/tex] which is what the person pushing should aim for, right?
I was just wondering if this is the only correct answer? I found an example in my textbook where it says that a ball of mass m is rotated at constant speed v in a vertical cirle with radius r. Then (v^2) > gr which prevents the object from falling when its on the top while swinging. Is it the same with my swing set, I'm hesitating since the swing set doesn't have constant velocity I guess?
Thanks in advance !

Note that the example you refer to indicates that by some means not explained, the ball is being kept at a constant speed around its course despite the acceleration due to gravity. This is not the same situation for your swing. What is the same between the two is the minimum velocity that must obtain at the top of their paths.

Okay thank you verry verry much! :)

1. What is Swing 360 and how does it work?

Swing 360 is a scientific experiment designed to calculate the velocity of a swingset. It involves attaching a sensor to the seat of the swing and recording data as the swing moves. By analyzing this data, we can determine the velocity at different points in the swing's motion.

2. What equipment is needed for Swing 360?

To conduct Swing 360, you will need a swingset, a sensor (such as an accelerometer), a data recording device (such as a computer), and software to analyze the data. You may also need additional tools for attaching the sensor to the swing.

3. How accurate is Swing 360 in measuring swing velocity?

The accuracy of Swing 360 depends on the quality of the equipment used and the precision of the data recording and analysis. With proper equipment and techniques, Swing 360 can provide accurate measurements of swing velocity.

4. What are the potential applications of Swing 360?

Swing 360 can be used in various fields, including physics, engineering, and sports science. It can help us better understand the laws of motion, improve swingset design, and analyze the performance of athletes in swinging sports such as gymnastics and golf.

5. Can anyone conduct Swing 360?

Swing 360 requires some scientific knowledge and technical skills, so it may be challenging for those without a background in physics or engineering. However, with proper guidance and training, anyone can learn to conduct Swing 360 and obtain accurate results.