Is the Answer Sheet Wrong? A Closer Look at Velocity-Time Graphs

• Thread starter Eobardrush
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary: That’s what I love about science, there’s no one right answer. everything is open to interpretation.
Eobardrush
Homework Statement
Find the total distance travelled in the first 16 seconds
Relevant Equations
s=0.5(a+b)*h
So I am supposed to look at the graph at part C and determine the total distance travelled. This is the answer sheet of the textbook. But I feel like the textbook is wrong here. But then I needed a confirmation if others can agree that it is wrong or not cause now I am very confused.

My answer is as follows

I divided this into two trapeziums.
1st Trapezium from the left:

s=0.5(15+55)*10

2nd Trapezium next to it:

s=0.5(55+37)*6

And then I add both of these trapezium area for the total distance.

So my answer is= 626m

The problem is that I am not sure why there is a 15 in the answer sheet for the 2nd Trapezium(for the variable "a" in the trapezium area equation). I think it is wrong. But maybe am I missing something?

Note v is given in ms^-1
t is given in seconds

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    40.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Obvious typo/slip on the solver’s part.

Likes Eobardrush
Orodruin said:
Obvious typo/slip on the solver’s part.
Ah thank god. Thanks for confirming for me. Else I would have been spending the whole day trying to figure out why there is a 15 there haha.
This is the first time seeing a mistake in this textbook. But I guess things like this happen

Eobardrush said:
This is the first time seeing a mistake in this textbook. But I guess things like this happen
They do happen and it's a good idea to bear that in mind. What drew me to science is that when you're right, you're right and it's not contingent on someone else's opinion.

kuruman said:
when you're right, you're right and it's not contingent on someone else's opinion.
Is that an opinion I see? 🤣

Likes kuruman
Orodruin said:
Is that an opinion I see?
"Not just ANY opinion, K-man's opinion."

Orodruin said:
Is that an opinion I see? 🤣
Bystander said:
"Not just ANY opinion, K-man's opinion."
You're both right! :oldsmile:

kuruman said:
You're both right! :oldsmile:
That’s what I love about science, there’s no one right answer.

• Haha
Likes berkeman

1. What is a velocity-time graph problem?

A velocity-time graph problem is a physics problem that involves plotting the velocity of an object over time on a graph. It is used to analyze the motion of an object and can provide information about its speed, acceleration, and displacement.

2. How do you interpret a velocity-time graph?

A velocity-time graph shows the relationship between an object's velocity and time. The slope of the graph represents the object's acceleration, with a steeper slope indicating a greater acceleration. The area under the graph represents the object's displacement.

3. What is the difference between a positive and negative slope on a velocity-time graph?

A positive slope on a velocity-time graph indicates that the object is moving in the positive direction, while a negative slope indicates that the object is moving in the negative direction. The steeper the slope, the greater the object's speed or acceleration.

4. How do you calculate the average velocity from a velocity-time graph?

The average velocity can be calculated by finding the slope of the line connecting two points on the graph. This can be done by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time between the two points.

5. What can a velocity-time graph tell us about an object's motion?

A velocity-time graph can provide information about an object's speed, acceleration, and displacement. It can also show if the object is moving at a constant speed, accelerating, or decelerating. Additionally, it can help determine the distance traveled by the object over a given period of time.