1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity Time Graph Question

1. Nov 4, 2009 #1
    This is my first post so I would like to say thank you in advance for any help, my picture would not upload so i have included a link to a quick sketch, you do not have to download it but can view it by clicking on the link, thanks

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The graph of velocity versus time of a body in linear motion is shown below.
    Calculate the total distance travelled at the end of the motion i.e. 15s from start
    http://dl025.zshare.net/download/4a4d0ab12e842970b615c4e0dc9fd485/1257348901/67963676/sketch.bmp [Broken]

http://www.zshare.net/image/679636760bde92d1/ [Broken]

2. Relevant equations
    I have uploaded a makeshift quick sketch to show the graph (the red lines are just to show the numbers on the graph where the lines fall

3. The attempt at a solution

I have 5 triangles and used 1/2 vt to work out a total of 12.5

then 5 rectangles and used vt to work out a total of 20

giving me a distance of 32.5m

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2009 #2
    i think the scale is wrong on your y-axis. so if the scale is increasing (as i assume it should be) so 3 and 4 switches places, then yes your answer is correct.

4. Nov 4, 2009 #3
    Yes the 3 and 4 should switch places!

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook