Velocity time graph question?

In summary, a car travels at a constant velocity of +20 m/s for 5 seconds, then constantly accelerates to +40 m/s in 4 seconds. It then decelerates until reaching a velocity of 0 m/s and rests for 1 second. The value of ax at t = 11 s is not specified, and it is unclear what is meant by "ax." At t = 3 seconds, the car is still traveling at a constant velocity of +20 m/s.
JadeLove
A car travels at a constant velocity of +20 m/s for 5 seconds, than constantly accelerates up to + 40 m/s in 4 seconds. Then the car decelerates constantly until it reaches a velocity of 0 m/s, and rests for 1 second.

What is ax at t = 11 s? And what is ax at t = 3 seconds?

I'm sure if anyone could help me with either I would learn the process and be able to do the other by myself, thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't there a format for posing problems for which you need help?

LawrenceC said:
Isn't there a format for posing problems for which you need help?

Dunno, I just joined like an hour ago... chill xD

- & I figured out how to solve this :)

Last edited:
what do you mean with ax? acceleration times position? or is it street lingo for acceleration?

kids these days..

Last edited:

I would approach this question by first analyzing the given information and understanding the concepts of velocity and acceleration.

From the given information, we can see that the car initially travels at a constant velocity of +20 m/s for 5 seconds, which means that its acceleration during this time is 0 m/s^2. This is because acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, and if the velocity is constant, there is no change.

After 5 seconds, the car accelerates constantly up to +40 m/s in 4 seconds. This means that its acceleration during this time is (40 - 20)/4 = 5 m/s^2. This is because the change in velocity is 40 m/s (final velocity) minus 20 m/s (initial velocity), divided by the time of 4 seconds.

Next, the car decelerates constantly until it reaches a velocity of 0 m/s, and rests for 1 second. This means that its acceleration during this time is (0 - 40)/4 = -10 m/s^2. This is because the change in velocity is 0 m/s (final velocity) minus 40 m/s (initial velocity), divided by the time of 4 seconds.

Now, to find the acceleration at t = 11 seconds, we need to look at the total time and velocity changes from the given information. From t = 0 to t = 5 seconds, the car has a constant velocity of +20 m/s, so its acceleration is 0 m/s^2. From t = 5 to t = 9 seconds, the car accelerates from +20 m/s to +40 m/s with an acceleration of 5 m/s^2. From t = 9 to t = 10 seconds, the car decelerates from +40 m/s to 0 m/s with an acceleration of -10 m/s^2. From t = 10 to t = 11 seconds, the car is at rest with an acceleration of 0 m/s^2. Therefore, the total acceleration at t = 11 seconds is 0 + 5 - 10 + 0 = -5 m/s^2.

At t = 3 seconds, the car has a constant velocity of +20 m/s, so its acceleration is 0 m/s^2.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the process and apply it to find the acceleration at

1. What is a velocity time graph?

A velocity time graph, also known as a speed time graph, is a visual representation of an object's velocity or speed over a period of time.

2. How do I interpret a velocity time graph?

The slope of the line on a velocity time graph represents the object's acceleration, while the steepness of the slope indicates the rate of acceleration. The area under the graph represents the distance traveled.

3. How do I calculate acceleration from a velocity time graph?

To calculate acceleration from a velocity time graph, divide the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the slope of the line on the graph.

4. What does a horizontal line on a velocity time graph indicate?

A horizontal line on a velocity time graph indicates that the object is moving at a constant velocity or speed. This means there is no acceleration or change in velocity over time.

5. Can a velocity time graph show negative acceleration?

Yes, a velocity time graph can show negative acceleration, which is also known as deceleration. This is represented by a downward sloping line on the graph.