VELOCITY-TIME GRAPH

1. How do you calculate the instantanius velocity of an object from a Velocity-Time graph?

2. jcsd
  3. jcsd

jcsd 2,226
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The instaneous velocity of the object described in the graph at a partycular time t, is simply it's velcoity at that time. In other words you don't have to do any calculus (like you weould have to do if you wished to find the average vellcoity over a certain time) just read the value from the graph.

4. HallsofIvy

HallsofIvy 40,780
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Are you sure this is what you meant? As jcsd pointed out, if you really have a "velocity- time" graph, then the instantaneous velocity is just the "y" value of the graph at time t.

If you have a "position-time" graph, then the velocity is the slope of the tangent line at the point.

If you have a "velocity-time" graph, then the acceleration is the slope of the tangent line.

5. sorry i asked the wrong question.

How do you calculate the Acceleration at a given time?

6. and also the tangent line is curved *the train accelerates at diffrent acceleratio*

7. accleration: velocity per unit time or V/t. It is just as is as this one.

8. jcsd

jcsd 2,226
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

a = dv/dt

i.e. differentiate

9. can you explain abit more please

10. jcsd

jcsd 2,226
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you only have the graph find the gradient of the grpah at that particular point, if you have the equation differentiate v with respect to t.

11. HallsofIvy

HallsofIvy 40,780
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As I said before: if you have a "Velocity-time" graph, draw a tangent to the curve at the given value of t and find its slope.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?