1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity + train

1. Oct 11, 2005 #1

ranger

Gold Member

Lets say that I'm on a trian moving a velocity of 100 mph, and I release a ball with a velocity of 80 mph in the same direction the train is moving. The ball would appear to move at a velocity of 180 mph to someone on the ground right? Well what would happen if I shoot a beam of light. The light beam cant move at a speed of C + 100 mph, because nothing can go faster than C. To someone on the ground, the light beam would still move a constant speed C.
    Why does this happen?

--thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

relativistic addition of velocities

That's just an approximation good at low speeds. The velocities actually add like this:
    [tex]v = \frac{v_1 + v_2}{1 + v_1 v_2/c^2}[/tex]
    To understand better why this is so, read up on special relativity.

4. Oct 12, 2005 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Not true at all! The light would travel at the same speed (c) whether observed from the space craft or from the Earth.

5. Oct 12, 2005 #4

ranger

Gold Member

Yea, that it because c is a constant. Its value never changes.

6. Oct 12, 2005 #5
    in actuality the value does change

.. but it takes a few billion years.

I won't say that it doesn't change because there has been 'proof' somehow that it does.. and the proof is over my head so I can't really dispell it.. but considering I'm not going to be here in a few billion years to see that light did in fact change by a decimal of a meter per second... so I think its safe to consider it a constant .. even if skeptics will badger it to the bitter end.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?