Velocity of Light vs Train: Why the Difference?

In summary, the ball would appear to move at a velocity of 180 mph to someone on the ground right? However, this is just an approximation and the velocities actually add like this: v = \frac{v_1 + v_2}{1 + v_1 v_2/c^2}
ranger
Gold Member
Lets say that I'm on a trian moving a velocity of 100 mph, and I release a ball with a velocity of 80 mph in the same direction the train is moving. The ball would appear to move at a velocity of 180 mph to someone on the ground right? Well what would happen if I shoot a beam of light. The light beam can't move at a speed of C + 100 mph, because nothing can go faster than C. To someone on the ground, the light beam would still move a constant speed C.
Why does this happen?

--thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
relativistic addition of velocities

ranger said:
The ball would appear to move at a velocity of 180 mph to someone on the ground right?
That's just an approximation good at low speeds. The velocities actually add like this:
[tex]v = \frac{v_1 + v_2}{1 + v_1 v_2/c^2}[/tex]
To understand better why this is so, read up on special relativity.

Intuitive said:
I think if you had head lights on a spacecraft that shown forwards as you theoretically approached light speed then the light emitting from your head lights would (appear) to slow down from the observer in the space craft,
If Light emitting from the head lights was traveling 186,282 miles a second and the spacecraft was traveling at 186,281 miles a second then the light emitting from the head lights would appear to be traveling at 1 mile a second to the observer in the space craft.
Not true at all! The light would travel at the same speed (c) whether observed from the spacecraft or from the Earth.

Doc Al said:
Not true at all! The light would travel at the same speed (c) whether observed from the spacecraft or from the Earth.

Yea, that it because c is a constant. Its value never changes.

ranger said:
Yea, that it because c is a constant. Its value never changes.

in actuality the value does change

.. but it takes a few billion years.

I won't say that it doesn't change because there has been 'proof' somehow that it does.. and the proof is over my head so I can't really dispell it.. but considering I'm not going to be here in a few billion years to see that light did in fact change by a decimal of a meter per second... so I think its safe to consider it a constant .. even if skeptics will badger it to the bitter end.

1. What is the velocity of light?

The velocity of light, denoted by the letter c, is a fundamental constant in physics that represents the speed at which light travels in a vacuum. It is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second or 186,282 miles per second.

2. How is the velocity of light measured?

The velocity of light can be measured using various techniques, such as the time-of-flight method or the interferometer method. In the time-of-flight method, the time it takes for light to travel a known distance is measured, while in the interferometer method, the interference patterns of light waves are used to calculate its velocity.

3. What is the "train and light" thought experiment?

The "train and light" thought experiment is a hypothetical scenario used to explain the concept of relative motion and the constancy of the velocity of light. It involves a train moving at a high speed, and someone on the train shining a beam of light in both directions. The speed of the light will be the same for both observers, despite the train's motion.

4. Why is there a difference in the velocity of light when measured from a train?

The difference in the velocity of light when measured from a train is due to the principle of relativity. According to this principle, the laws of physics should be the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. Therefore, the speed of light remains constant, but the perceived velocity may change for different observers depending on their frame of reference.

5. How does the concept of time dilation affect the velocity of light when measured from a moving train?

The concept of time dilation, as described in Einstein's theory of relativity, states that time appears to pass slower for an observer in motion relative to another observer. This means that the time measured by a person on the train will be different from that measured by someone standing outside the train. However, the speed of light remains constant for both observers, which may lead to a perceived difference in its velocity when measured from the train.