Velocity vector diagram help

In summary, the conversation is about creating diagrams showing the velocity vector of a car traveling around a racetrack at a constant speed. The initial question is whether there should be a total of three diagrams, with the second and third diagrams showing the change in velocity. The expert suggests that there should be four diagrams, each showing the velocity vector at a specific point on the racetrack. It is recommended that the individual consult their textbook or teacher for clarification on the term "vector diagram".
sirfederation
Here we are looking down on a racetrack with straight sections and semicircular ends. A car is going around the track and maintaining constant speed.

For each one of the numbered positions: Draw diagrams showing the velocity vector for the car.

I will post my diagrams on a separate reply. I just need to know if I am getting this concept down (this is yet another example concept from the book I am not getting). My question is do I have a total of three diagrams. One would be for #1 as Vi and #2 as Vf. Then the second diagram starts with #2 as Vi and #3 as Vf. The third diagram as #3 as Vi and #4 as Vf. I should have a reply with my diagrams on it

Attachments

• 4576.gif
    4576.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 474
Physics news on Phys.org
Here are the Diagrams: If I made a mistake please inform me on what I did wrong

Attachments

• 2354.gif
    2354.gif
    2 KB · Views: 575
It's not clear to me WHAT you are trying to do.

There are 4 posions given and you say:
For each one of the numbered positions: Draw diagrams showing the velocity vector for the car.
That should imply 4 diagrams, each showing the velocity vector at that point.

In your second post, you show three diagrams, showing the Δv- the change in velocity vectors. You didn't say anything about having to show that.

So wouldn't a a velocity vectory diagram have delta V, Vi, and Vf.

Actually is the vector diagrams just the tangent line to the point 1, 2,3,4 on the racetrack?

Perhaps you should check your textbook or with your teacher to determine exactly what is meant by a "vector diagram". "vector" is a pretty standard term but "vector diagram" is not.

Off the top of my head, I would think a "vector diagram" in this case is a picture showing the velocity vector at each given point on the track.

What is a velocity vector diagram?

A velocity vector diagram is a graphical representation of an object's velocity. It shows the magnitude and direction of the object's velocity at different points in time.

How do you create a velocity vector diagram?

To create a velocity vector diagram, you first need to know the object's initial velocity and the acceleration it experiences. Then, you can plot the object's position at different points in time and draw a vector from each point to represent the object's velocity. The length and direction of the vector will depend on the object's speed and direction of motion at that point in time.

What is the purpose of a velocity vector diagram?

The purpose of a velocity vector diagram is to visually represent an object's velocity and how it changes over time. It can help in understanding the motion of an object and can also be used to analyze and predict the object's future motion.

What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings in physics. Speed is the rate at which an object is moving, while velocity is the rate at which an object is changing its position. Velocity also includes the direction of motion, while speed does not.

How can a velocity vector diagram be used to calculate an object's acceleration?

In a velocity vector diagram, the slope of the line connecting two velocity vectors can be used to calculate the object's acceleration. The steeper the slope, the greater the object's acceleration. This can be calculated using the formula acceleration = change in velocity / change in time.